Greenhouse v Poly Tunnel v DIY project advice please!!

• 2 Replies

Ferris

« on: February 01, 2008, 12:33 »
Hello everyone - I am in a bit of a quandry and wanted any advice or experiences that might help me.

Basically I started off about 2 weeks ago thinking that I wanted to buy a new greenhouse. I dont have a huge amount of money spare so initially I scoured ebay, freecycle, etc but havent yet turned anything up at a real knock down price.

So last week I kind of decided that if a second glass/aluminium greenhouse was going to cost close to £100 (plus time and effort to dismantle and collect, arranging transport, petrol etc) then I might as well get a new PolyCarbonate greenhouse which can be delivered for about £150 i think.

Then over the weekend I was looking over my garden, and with a bit of heavy pruning and relocating my chicken run, I realised that I kind of have an ideal area for a small polytunnel and looking at prices on the internet I could get something delivered for less than £250, which is really more than I wanted to spend but could be worth it overall.

Finally in the past few days I have been looking at various ideas and instructions for building your own polytunnel using scaffold poles, water pipe and so on. However by my rudimentary calculations even blagging a lot of the materials, it is going to cost well over £100 just for a decent cover plus a lot of labour time.

So to sum up - ideally I would like to spend not more than £150 on something and want to get the best return for my money. I have a smallish vegetable patch at present, so what I really want is somewhere to house my seed trays and to house some of the more "hot house" vegetables - chillis, peppers, cucumbers, etc.

I would appreciate any reviews or advice on Poly Carbonate greenhouses - are they easy to construct? How good are they compared to traditional glass? How much can you get in them? Any top tips on the best place to buy?

I would also appreciate any thoughts on Poly Tunnels. How much does it really cost to build your own, and is it worth the extra money for a "professional" one?

many thanks for any advice

Chris

PS I'm in sunny South Devon if anyone has particular advice for anything in the area

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 13:22 »
well i have had both a glass one and a Polly

and i can tell ya the Polly wins hands down for me as i have been in a glass greenhouse when a pain of glass in the roof smashed

not fun with the Polly you dont have that

however the Polly dose have some draw backs

1. ugly as sin
2. it gets very wet so good vents is a must

plus's

1. no glass
2. easy to put up
3. cheaper than glass
4. easy to fix if damaged
5. very big lots and lots of room

but if you get one i would buy a pr'built one and get one with the base rail
so much easier than digging a trench

here is a link to the place i plan to get mine from
http://firsttunnels.co.uk/

they have been recommended to me buy lots of people that have got one from them

hope this helps

a 6x8 £332.00 thats with base rail ground cover hotspot tape delivery is free

ps for the mods i dont have anything to do with this company i get nowt out of it  :cry:  :cry:

just trying to help  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

neal

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 19:27 »
Got to agree with last reply totaly. We have just had the worst week of winds in the 4 years that i have had mine [60mph]. Apart from flying debris which as caused some damage they are very strong. A roll of repair goes along way. Fellow plotholders have been replacing glass and polycarbonate sheet all week and the costs have amazed me.
I got mine from first tunnels first class service and instructions. Which i followed to the letter.I did bury the plastic never again base rails are the way to go but this dose add to the cost. Very cost effective for the size £399 for a 25x12 cost glass/polycarbonate to cover that area but sit down first. :D

xx
poly tunnel versus greenhouse?

Started by boosmummy on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:27
by grinling
xx
poly tunnel

Started by veg lover on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 18:31
by mashauk
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by twysted1 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2006, 15:26
by John
xx
My first poly tunnel

Started by Ferris on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 18:18
by Ferris

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 37 queries.