New Spuds At Christmas?

• 23 Replies

Scribbler

New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 16:56 »
Hey - glad you asked. My new potatoes were the highlight of our Christmas dinner. They were harvested Christmas Eve and tasted fantastic.

What made it so amazing was that they were killed off (I thought) by the first frosts, and all that was left of the haulms was bits of straw sticking through the ground showing where the plants were. Had been advised to cut my losses and harvest what I could about six weeks ago, but left them in the ground. Apart from some minor slug damage, they were fine.

So the lesson is, never give up on them I guess. If you have some still in, they may be ok after all!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

diggerjoe

New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 14:04 »
I grew Ratte in some old royal mail bags right back at the start of the season and left one bag to see if they would keep till Christmas and  surprisingly they did I put the bag oin the greenhouse at the start of December in case of frost but we have had 3lbs so far and still some left. Will try this again as family for the first time actually commented how good they were. :D

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 12:33 »
We had Charlotte and something else I can't remember on the same smallish row. So one big spud and one small new potato.

We planted in August and dug them up on Christmas Eve.  That was a bit of a punt.  They were all excelent, large ones roasted and the Charlotte steamed and cold.

This blog shows the collected veg that we had on Christmas day.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/12/grow-your-own-Christmas.html

Click on the title page to see posts that show what did not make the cut for Christmas and pictures from the Christmas table.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 17:22 »
well we tried and they were doing really well up until the vandalism in mid november some ruthless little idiots decided they would just mindlesslly kick everything we done down and to shreds but when the area was dug over much to our surprise there where some spuds so will deffo try again next year. so the moral of this story is alls well that ends well!!!! :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 17:48 »
alandkell:  Not really because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

If I ever catch anyone on the allotment who is causing trouble they'll have lead in their leg.  I have my 12 bore with me most days.  I am not joking either.

We have about 7 feet of fence with barbed wire around our field and they still get in and cause damage, nick stuff and break hearts.

Beetroot queen

New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 18:18 »
well we planted two tubs one lost got hit by the frost so we had them out, they were the best spuds around even if they were the size of broad beans LOL

the other tub we have fleeced and left, cant loose anything so we left them for a bit longer  :lol:

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 19:59 »
Quote from: "matthew2riches"

If I ever catch anyone on the allotment who is causing trouble they'll have lead in their leg.  I have my 12 bore with me most days.  I am not joking either.

We have about 7 feet of fence with barbed wire around our field and they still get in and cause damage, nick stuff and break hearts.

yeah you are right but i dont have a gun license, might get one though, mmmmmh thats tempting dave who i share the allotment with caught a couple of em and gave em some shoe but gotta be careful what ya say if ya no what i mean. :lol:

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 20:22 »
Quote from: "alandkell"
Quote from: "matthew2riches"

yeah you are right but i dont have a gun license, might get one though, mmmmmh thats tempting dave who i share the allotment with caught a couple of em and gave em some shoe but gotta be careful what ya say if ya no what i mean. :lol:

True.  I am sure at least a shovel in the knee is good enough! :-)

Anyway enough violent talk, we should be talking about spuds lol.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
New Spuds At Christmas?
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 18:52 »
I got about 10 small spuds, the frost got the rest because the fleece was useless

My son loved them on his Christmas dinner though

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
New spuds for Christmas ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 12:16
by wellingtons
xx
Spuds for Christmas

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Christmas day spuds

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 12:51
by boogaloo
xx
When to put Christmas spuds in?

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 11:18
by barbarella

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 32 queries.