Why do folk put small lengths of plastic pipe around their cabbage plants

• 28 Replies

Goosegirl

I use large plastic milk cartons and cut the top off about a quarter of the way down. The cut goes horizontally across the top of the handle and into the carton - ours have a little ridge on the side of the carton which I use as a guide. I then cut the bottom of the carton off and place it over the plant, then snuggle the bottom into the soil and stick a short cane down the handle to secure it. I put a couple of slug pellets around the stem and leave it in place until the leaves have grown over the carton top. Costs me nothing and works.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

barley

I do the same sort of thing but use large plastic drinks bottles cut into 2" strips.  It keeps slugs etc off as the cut bit is rough also it's quite good for watering as the water tends not to run off as much.

snap - I use old pop bottles with top and bottom cut off then 2 sticks pushed down either side to hold them in place

they are brilliant for keeping cabbage root fly off cut worms and slugs can get over but drop a couple of pellets in and it will die in the bottle preventing birds eating contaminated slugs , plus it acts as a mini cloche to protect the plant till a bit bigger

when you think the plant looks  large enough just pull it off

oh and grass mulch can be added easily without burying the cabbage helping with weed suppression and water retention

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 18:58 by barley »

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
I do this Barley too, and they are under a shade netting as well to keep animals off the organic pellets, but a quick check today shows they've nearly all been severely chomped by slugs despite the pellets  :mad: don't know what else I can add.  I've got pinking sheared tops around the bottles as well....

Beetroot Queen

Ahhh I need some pop bottles, would also stop birds nipping the tiny things

Salmo

The soil is an unusual colour. Is it very dry?

Looks dry but could be Fenland silt. Where does Rubberfrog live I wonder?

Bing

• Experienced Member
this is what I do when plants are young!

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
I use large plastic milk cartons and cut the top off about a quarter of the way down. The cut goes horizontally across the top of the handle and into the carton - ours have a little ridge on the side of the carton which I use as a guide. I then cut the bottom of the carton off and place it over the plant, then snuggle the bottom into the soil and stick a short cane down the handle to secure it. I put a couple of slug pellets around the stem and leave it in place until the leaves have grown over the carton top. Costs me nothing and works.

Have you got a pic? I don't really use pop bottles but milk bottles we go through a few big ones per week. I'm just struggling to imagine the cane through the handle thing

Goosegirl

I don't have a pic at the moment, but if you make a horizontal cut through the handle then into the milk container itself as I described, you're left with a hole at the top of the handle, and this is where you push your cane down. It will then go down the side of the container then into the ground to secure it. When you cut across the handle part, do it just before the bend at the top to give you a straight "pipe" to work with - if you include the bend, you won't be able to get the cane to go straight down. If you're still struggling to imagine it, I will make one and take a pic for you.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
I think I get what you mean - I will have a play and cut one up in a couple of days as we nearly have an empty one!

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
I don't have a pic at the moment, but if you make a horizontal cut through the handle then into the milk container itself as I described, you're left with a hole at the top of the handle, and this is where you push your cane down. It will then go down the side of the container then into the ground to secure it. When you cut across the handle part, do it just before the bend at the top to give you a straight "pipe" to work with - if you include the bend, you won't be able to get the cane to go straight down. If you're still struggling to imagine it, I will make one and take a pic for you.

A brilliant idea .. it means only 1 cane per bottle, I was using two as well as a couple of long ones linked through the handles.

WELL DONE GOOSEGIRL !!!!

here's a picture ... just made it now and photographed it on the chair

georget

The pipes are to protect the young plant from everything really including the elements,but once it has taken root and is strong enough to support itself you must remove the pipe or the stalk will grow too long

rubberfrog

The soil is an unusual colour. Is it very dry?

Looks dry but could be Fenland silt. Where does Rubberfrog live I wonder?

I live up in West Yorks, we are very wet in the winter months and very windy in the summer months, the top of the soil bakes dry, very difficult to break the wet lumps down,  we now have a regular supply of manure so this help retain moisture. 

rubberfrog

The pipes are to protect the young plant from everything really including the elements,but once it has taken root and is strong enough to support itself you must remove the pipe or the stalk will grow too long

Not really had an issue with this. I just leave them in place.  But I shall take this advice and try some this year. Thanks for the tip.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com

A brilliant idea .. it means only 1 cane per bottle, I was using two as well as a couple of long ones linked through the handles.

WELL DONE GOOSEGIRL !!!!

here's a picture ... just made it now and photographed it on the chair

Yes, I have just done something similar but I cut the top right off to make sure the plants get enough light. Brilliant idea. Best start collecting milk bottles :)

Thanks for the idea GG

xx
plastic water pipe

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 17:03
by Ice
xx
small plastic greenhouses

Started by onthebeach on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 18:05
by Rangerkris
xx
Small plastic cloche / greenhouses..

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 09:10
by bigben
xx
small cabbage please

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 19:01
by Growbag

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 38 queries.