Has anyone tried hot compost bins? Are they worth it?

• 17 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Has anyone tried hot compost bins? Are they worth it?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:16 »
I've got a green johanna which is a sealed compost bin that you can put all waste into including cooked food & bones. I've got it on the plot. I started it 31march 2012 & continued adding to it until last year. Then stopped as it was full. I haven't emptied it yet it's on my list to do. It isn't a hot in though but I think it did get hot or certainly seemed to be when I took the lid off. Instructions say to put it in a shady place. I wish I'd bought 2 when I got it on special offer from the council for £20 as they are much more than that.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Headgardener22

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37 »
I've got a green johanna which is a sealed compost bin that you can put all waste into including cooked food & bones. I've got it on the plot. I started it 31march 2012 & continued adding to it until last year. Then stopped as it was full. I haven't emptied it yet it's on my list to do. It isn't a hot in though but I think it did get hot or certainly seemed to be when I took the lid off. Instructions say to put it in a shady place. I wish I'd bought 2 when I got it on special offer from the council for £20 as they are much more than that.

Thanks snowdrops, it ceratinly looks like an alternative. Looking at it on the web, the main difference between it and a standard Dalek seems to be that it has a base to keep the vermin out. Is that true?

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 10:21 »

Thanks snowdrops, it ceratinly looks like an alternative. Looking at it on the web, the main difference between it and a standard Dalek seems to be that it has a base to keep the vermin out. Is that true?

Yes I suppose it is plus it comes in 'rings' that slot together & are then fixed with screws. It's not quick composting but that's not I wanted. I just wanted it to replace the waste food collections that our council trialled. I got used to seeing what food we wasted & found once it wasn't being collected our food waste went up,kids at home etc. or probably more to the point when I saw what was being wasted I made more of an effort to cut down on the waste.

xx
compost bins?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 08:00
by daisy1990
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:24
by joshwain
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang
xx
HotBin Compost Bins

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2015, 22:06
by surbie100

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 36 queries.