Tree Onions

• 5 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Tree Onions
« on: December 31, 2013, 18:09 »
Happy New Year to you all...  :D

I've just bought some Tree Onions online - look quite the curiosity. Does anyone have any advice about them - I believe they are also known as topsetting onions. From what I can see they can 'move' across a plot by toppling over and the following year's bulbs growing from that position. I assume on a fairly regularly worked on allotment they won't be a problem - i.e. spread too far into the wrong places?

Cheers,
Balders   

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: Tree Onions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 18:26 »
No idea about the onions, sure someone will have experience!

-but happy to spot you on here Baldy- mind if I gatecrash this thread, I've been dying to ask you how your slug home-brew nematodes worked? (your old thread http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101693.msg1134661#msg1134661

Just to save bumping a year old thread, and everyone having to read through to catch up, mods.

4 Seasons

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 18:34 »
Happy New Year to you too Baldy.
I've got mine in a greenhouse at the moment because those were the instructions I received…to be planted out in the spring but I'm sure being winter onions I could have put them straight out. The bed wasn't prepared so I did what I was told by the seller.
I think you probably move around slowly like me but I think we can both move faster than an onion can grow. :dry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 18:44 »
Also called "walking onions". A snail walks a million times faster than these and they're far, far easier to keep under control than dandelions!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 18:47 »
We know them over here as Egyptian onions (no idea why) but all you do is stick the bottom half of the bulb into soil and walk away.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 20:19 »
OK - so not too stressful to try and look after then - good news indeed.

Pigguns - the homemade nematodes is at present inconclusive - the initial 'brew' smelt like the devil's discharge and seemed to be 'correctly made'. Trouble was that this year my plot seemed to have very very few slugs and snails at all. I had trouble collecting enough to 'seed' the second brew! (you wouldn't normally complain about that).

I'm going to go for it again this year as the concoction looked to be correct - i.e I saw slugs that seemed to have the nematode infection so I think the mechanics of it look like it should work.

I'll try to document it and measure it this year - perhaps do an end of year report - I'm guessing that this year's natural absence of slugs is unlikely to be repeated.  :dry:

Cheers,
Baldy

xx
tree onions

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 06:46
by WG.
xx
Tree Onions

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 20:52
by Trillium
xx
(Tree or Walking Onions

Started by Bay Laurel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 14:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 34 queries.