fussy eater

• 8 Replies

Neelam

fussy eater
« on: November 03, 2014, 20:02 »
Although I haven't changed neither routine nor food, for the past two weeks my flock inclusive two chicks became fussy. They are free ranging, get chick crumbs and the others layer pellets and treats about 2 hours before roosting time (barely, sometimes some meal worms or porridge, too).

Already in the morning I get "dirty looks" for not starting with fancy food e.g. treats and they almost totally ignore crumbs and pellets.

Any ideas how I get them back to proper food? I don't think that in rhis time of the year free ranging fills the tummy good enough.

Thanks to all.

Springlands

Re: fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 20:06 »
We had a similar problem a while back and OH just did not offer any treats at all. The hens soon ate their pellets when they got hungry. Then when they got back into good habits they were offered the occasional treat. Hope that helps.

Neelam

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 21:08 »
Yes, thank you, it helps! Do I stop the evening barely as well as I rhought corn fills better over night?

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 21:27 »
We stopped all treats until the hens were eating normally - strictly speaking their pellets or mash is all they need. We then gradually introduced a few treats such as greens or a little corn but only when we were sure they had eaten their pellets.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59 »
as well as cutting out all the treats check that their feed isn't going mouldy - check the bottom of the bag to feel if it's damp.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Neelam

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:15 »
@Joyful, that's what I found this morning, the bag feels a bit damped although inside I cannot see signs of mould.

If the food is ok, should I still throw it away or can I use it without putting them at risk?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37 »
if there is anyway the food has got damp I would chuck it I'm afraid. There could be mould spores that you cant see. How do you store it? I store mine in a metal dustbin which in turn is kept in a metal shed and off the ground, this ensures the feed is kept dry.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 12:59 »
I would agree with Joyful - better not to take any chances. OH and I use an old fashioned plastic bin to keep our feed in - it gets cleaned out now and again just to ensure that the feed is kept fresh and safe.  :)

Neelam

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 17:13 »
I had it in an outdoor storage that's built underneath our stairs what usually should be dry but found that those garden furniture cushions must have had some moist left inside when I put them in for winter storage. The food pack was laying on top for at least two weeks before I needed it. Once open it's in plastic containers and never had an issue with them so I guess it was already dampened... :-(

Well, it's only a 5kg pack so not too much of a loss and I've learned my lesson.

Thanks again!

xx
fussy eater - advice needed please

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:34
by loretta cluck
xx
Am i too fussy

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 15:27
by Lost in France
xx
fussy rat

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:33
by joyfull
xx
fussy eaters!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 13:16
by blossom1044

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 39 queries.