Moving Autumn Bliss raspberries

• 8 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Moving Autumn Bliss raspberries
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:16 »
We went out for a walk for some fresh air yesterday and took the opportunity to call in and visit the plot.  As in common with most people, our ground is sodden and its clay soil, so not ideal to even think about walking on it.

My quandary is that I wanted to thin out and move a row of raspberries, by taking fresh offshoots and starting again.  The new supports are in place, but with the mild weather, the rasps are likely to start sprouting very soon, so do I move them now or risk leaving it and move them later?

I was moving 1 row and leaving a 2nd behind to move later, so if they didn't take, I would have more offshoot material for next year.  My other thought was buy some fresh canes and chuck them in.  It would be a bit of a mud fest, but less messy than moving canes.  My least favourite option would be forget it for this winter and try again next year, but if needs be, I could do this  ::)

Anyone moved rasps late on when they have already shown signs of life and got away with it?  If you have I would like to hear about it.  It will give me courage to leave the job for a while :)

Trikidiki

Re: Moving Autumn Bliss raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32 »
I moved a row of 'Heritage' raspberries a few years back thinking I was early enough but found that they already had 2-3" shoots on them under the soil. A few of them got broken off accidentally but most stayed intact.

They produced loads of growth but little fruit, however in subsequent years they haven't produced much fruit either. I think the soil may be a bit rich and they are producing stem and leaf growth but little fruit. I am avoiding fertilising them in the hope that impoverishing the soil may kick them into better fruit production.

They have two more years, if they are still not producing better I will grub them out and beg some offshoots from a neighbour who has an unnamed variety (probably 'Autumn Bliss') that do very well on his plot.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:35 »
One of my plot neighbours gave me some roots of A.B. a few years back in June. They grew into a 32' hedge!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39 »
I'd just move them now, perhaps use some dry compost mixed in to help lighten the soil around the roots a bit. I don't know if that would help but at least I'd think that I'd done my best to help them  :lol:

Just don't use too much boot pressure when you plant them, turning the clay to concrete around the roots!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:48 »
One of my plot neighbours gave me some roots of A.B. a few years back in June. They grew into a 32' hedge!

Well if they can survive being moved in June, perhaps I am over thinking things  :lol:  I knew you would have a no faff answer  :)

I'd just move them now, perhaps use some dry compost mixed in to help lighten the soil around the roots a bit. I don't know if that would help but at least I'd think that I'd done my best to help them  :lol:

That's a good idea  :D  As for the concrete, don't worry, I am well used to my clay soil and its ability to turn into something you could make house bricks out of.  I just need to avoid getting stuck in there myself  ::)  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:51 »
and beg some offshoots from a neighbour who has an unnamed variety (probably 'Autumn Bliss') that do very well on his plot.

I've never grown Heritage, but if your neighbours plants are doing well, it is well worth getting some offshoots.  That's why I wanted to keep mine.  I know they are super productive and I think given a fresh start in new soil, they will go mad  :)

mdjlucan

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:22 »
Just a question, I've got a new allotment and the soil is a a bit claye  I put bare rooted raspberry canes in last year. Would thy survive?
metal detector man

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:27 »
There is no reason why not, but you need to wait until spring and see if they make new growth to be absolutely sure  :)

mdjlucan

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 12:52 »
Thank you so much for all your Help

xx
Moving Autumn Bliss Raspberries

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 11:05
by Rincon
xx
autumn bliss raspberries

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 21:48
by DD.
xx
Autumn Bliss raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 16:46
by BARNACLE BILL
xx
Autumn Bliss Raspberries

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 20:11
by Missey

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 34 queries.