In the Pewey Vale

• 2 Replies

Dekzion

In the Pewey Vale
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:57 »
Hi Y'all,
I have lived on a park home site for the last 10 years so you can guess the acreage that I don't have to grow stuff! My place is an absolute jungle up against the rest of the site that suffers from the 'the suns shining, get the strimmers out' others. Therefore I have been more selective in my growing, preferring individuals that no-one knows or have tried to grow, like black Goji's (very hard to get growing, I only have one 3yr old that is actually growing vertical, and this is the first year it has flowers on) very dark purple goosegogs, which I moved down to my brand new allotment and the pigeons have decimated it!  Honeyberry likewise! Black grapevine, which flies up all over my unit and can make 20 foot of growth every year and tons of grapes! (my partner also includes the young leaves in salads.  I had to move a rose that I bred (Doris Tystamon x unknown seedling) and named after the daughter I waited so long for 'Meghans Arrival' over to a young vicars garden because the site owner kept spraying weedkiller down the path and catching it every year. It's now happy.(I also have a sport from it as yet un-named in the same garden) I harbor a single Himalayan Balsam every year because it is edible  and great in salads, the flowers look lovely as garnish in the summer too. One is enough because they are very water hungry which can effect surrounding plants and flowers, being an annual they are very easy to control and when they pop up in spring a quick hoe removes the ones you don't need.
I grow Tomatoes outside, I built a trough that holds 8, 12 inch pots, I collect my own seed which are an absolute joy when they grow in the spring because they can be a mongrel of anything that I've grown over the years from red robins, moneymaker,cream sausage or mongrels of mongrels, they always produce very very well and faster than anything F1. This year I have Latah's in there along with two mongrels (one looks like a black russian cross, and the other a very short 'ground cover?' mongrel. they had fruit two weeks before the Latah which is supposed to be the fastest one going.
Anyhoo, My Allotment. Yep, got one this March. Lousy with bindweed, thistles, dandelion (which my partner and I love in salads too) grass up to your knees, wild artichoke everywhere where it hasn't been cropped properly along with spuds growing all over the place. NO shed!! so no water supply. Plagued with pigeons too.
You've probably all been there in the beginning too as that's life eh? The soils lovely, rich and dark and very open, it needs some fibre in it but I'll get on that this winter.
I've dug plots and cleared then as best as poss (still weeds coming up) and have all the usual, peas, cucumbers,sweetcorn, spuds, spinach and squash all in and doing well. I was also lucky to get my hands on 4 Yacon and three perennial Kale which are doing very well
I'm building a decent shed from a load of fencing I've been given, but as I'm working full time getting on top of it  all is taking longer than I would have liked but I'll sort it in the end. Hello :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: In the Pewey Vale
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:25 »
Welcome to the forum :)
It sounds as if you've got your hands full, but at least you can spread out a bit now you've got the allotment. Good luck with it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: In the Pewey Vale
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 19:23 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new lotty  :D

What a wide range of plants you're trying - my hat off to you!  You've also made great strides on the plot, well done.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.