Another New Newbie

• 5 Replies

Startled Sprout

• http://www.neohairdesign.co.uk
Another New Newbie
« on: August 12, 2006, 21:36 »
Hello
Ive had this bright idea that i'm going to turn the back yard in work into an allotment. Its not the biggest space but i have lots of high walls and it gets sun most of the day. In fact the only thing it lacks is earth. Seriously peeps what are my chances of growing stuff in wooden raised beds if all they have 12 inches below the soil is concrete?

Be honest...be brutal..i can take it

Nia x
Everyone must believe in something; I belive i'll have another drink

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Another New Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 23:30 »
Depends on what you try to grow. There's not much you can't grow in containers but you need to ensure drainage or they'll fill with stagnant water.
Try various depths - salads only need six inches but you'll need a couple of feet for root crops.
Most show growers use containers - they control conditions very rigidly.  So, the brutal truth is you can have a very productive garden.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

earthgirl

Another New Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 00:59 »
I've got my garden planted in 6" raised beds, as well as some containers and grow bags. My 'bible' is Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholemew. I grew lots of stuff this year, including root crops (beets, turnips, mini carrots) and have been very happy with the results (it's my first year gardening). I bought Mel's book, but there is also lots of info on his site:
http://squarefootgardening.com/

:)

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Another New Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:46 »
I grew up with my parents doing square foot gardening but since then I've learned if you're planting more than one type of plant in a bed and still practicing good crop rotation, you might end up with legumes shading everything else out. It's not always the best method. I like having rows or blocks going more or less North-South so they get sun on either side of the rows.
On the bright side, lots of things will grow in a 12inch deep container including dwarf rootstock apple trees and a few other fruit trees. I really love The Edible Container Garden it's a really great book and tells you how to grow in raised beds and in pots and what grows best in what soil depth etc.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Startled Sprout

• http://www.neohairdesign.co.uk
Another New Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 22:59 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've read so much on here now i think my head's going to pop. I'm getting more and more picky as to what i eat these days. Ive been getting organic fruit and veg from WWW.riverford.co.uk but find i waste most becouse i dont get to choose what i have its just picked and delivered. saying that i got hooked on the taste. So i decided to buy organic from Tescos only to my horror that none of it is UK sourced. Just how fresh can a carrot be thats travelled from Argentina? So thats why i've decided to grow me own and i think you peeps are going to be critical to my success. OOO  i'm all excited. Tomorrow i sort out the compost bin. Go to the library and start planning!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Another New Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 23:04 »
Good luck in your endeavour sprout!  Keep us up to date with what happens!!!

xx
Newbie saying hello

Started by Tigs33 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2006, 09:00
by John
xx
Newbie-

Started by monkey24502 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2021, 13:57
by monkey24502
xx
Newbie trying to help a newbie

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:03
by Thephoenix572
smiley
Another newbie, hello all

Started by Bonbon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 02:48
by Henerz

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.