Fertiliser

• 6 Replies

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Fertiliser
« on: August 10, 2006, 13:02 »
Hi everyone, I would like to say hello as I am new to both allotment growing and this forum.

I have a question about fertiliser, there seems to be a lot of advice in books about using blood, fish and bone meal. Can anyone give me any practical advice, should I get some? when and where to use it?

And is there a good place to buy it in bulk or just go to the local garden centre?

I’ve tried hard this year, the plot has not been grown on for about 6 years, so keeping on top of the weeds seems to be a full time job, especially the couch grass and thistles, but I keep telling myself that it will easier next year, honest, well that’s what I tell the wife who already classes herself as an allotment widow.

Thanks. :?
Paul

hermon

Fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 13:59 »
can't help with the fertilizer but the weed should be less next year this is also my 1st year on a barron plot it was a struggle but i'm nearly in control of weeds now! (until next spring :lol: )

noshed

Fertiliser
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 14:16 »
You can get blood, fish and bone in places like B&Q and woolies. They also sell pelleted chicken manure as well, which is quite good, and cheap.
I assume you're making a big compost heap of all the weeds you're digging up and you could enquire whether the site gets manure deliveries - if you got some soon it could be rotting down for the spring.
Comfrey is good too - see John's articles on this site.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Fertiliser
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 14:45 »
Thanks for that hermon, one thing I noticed yesterday when I was lifting the early potatoes was that some had small holes in them (wire worm infestation maybe?) later on I found one that still had the couch grass root still stuck in it, so it was that causing the problems.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Fertiliser
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 20:26 »
just got a ton bag of manure delivered,i cant beleive im getting excited over a pile of s**t :lol:

jgsmuzzy

Fertiliser
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 21:35 »
we have a huge bonus there, we have a farm very close with a huge nicely rotted down manure heap that we can help ourselves to!  should be useful in the coming year.
An absolute novice!

philsmith1967

Fertiliser
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 18:58 »
We have a farmer with the 12 plots along one edge of our allotments. He keeps 2 shire horses and 2 normal sized horses - that's like a production line of manure! You can help yourself from the heap he makes outside his gate and he also drops a big pile of it to the sites he can access with his tractor.
Manure and compost are by far the best thing you can feed your plot with. Fertilizers are mainly used to give the plants a quick boost at certain stages of their life but they have no real benefial properties to improve your soil.
Keep adding the organic matter a pay attention to crop rotation (roots like carrots,parsnips etc..don't like ffresh manure) and within a few years you'll have beautiful soil.
Good luck :D

xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Pig Poo as fertiliser

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 08:33
by mobilekat
xx
Too much fertiliser?

Started by siggy_7 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:41
by siggy_7
xx
fertiliser

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 10:00
by andyf75

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 35 queries.