"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

snowdrops

Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53 »
A very small scorpion. No idea if it's true that the sting of a small scorpion is more painful than that of a large scorpion. It went shooting off into the weeds and I moved on to another patch, thankful that I hadn't grabbed it in my hand in my bid to remove as much bindweed as possible.

On the insect front, a couple of years back, I saw a beautiful tarantula in among my Brussels sprouts as I was weeding them. I've stopped putting down hay as mulch, so there's no chance I might be caught unawares again. Have been got on two occasions by a wolf spider and that was more than enough for me.

Just to be clear, we regard any insects in the house as fair game. Out in the veg patch, only caterpillars, snails and aphids are subject to culling.

Sounds like extreme gardening to me,brought back memories of when I ended up with a tarantula on the back of my hand whilst in the West Indies, it went flying very quickly :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snoop

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43 »
Sounds like extreme gardening to me,brought back memories of when I ended up with a tarantula on the back of my hand whilst in the West Indies, it went flying very quickly :ohmy:

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a tarantula on my hand. Flap about in an attempt to shake it off, I guess. What did you do, so as I know for next time...

The one I saw was a beauty though. The daughter of a friend of mine once had one as a pet. She kept it in a small terrarium. I didn't think much about it at the time, but having seen one in the wild, it seems a shame to me now that it should have been incarcerated like that.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2014, 18:27 »
Had this little chappie come to see me near our pond today, not sure what sort of Shield Bug it is, there are so many.
DSCF6233 (400 x 395).jpg
DSCF6235 (400 x 419).jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2014, 18:44 »

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a tarantula on my hand. Flap about in an attempt to shake it off, I guess. What did you do, so as I know for next time...

The one I saw was a beauty though. The daughter of a friend of mine once had one as a pet. She kept it in a small terrarium. I didn't think much about it at the time, but having seen one in the wild, it seems a shame to me now that it should have been incarcerated like that.

I shook it off very abruptly hence the flying lesson,then screamed for my sister who told me to stand on it as I had shoes on :ohmy:  but I didn't it would have been very squelchy  :lol: plus it didn't seem right to kill it, it was outside in its habitat plus I never kill spiders, not sure about the scorpion though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2014, 21:59 »
Saw a cinnabar moth on the plots at the weekend - never seen it before; it is such a striking red colour  :)
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3579
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2014, 22:11 »
cinnabars are lovely moths
Staffies are softer than you think.

snowdrops

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2014, 22:19 »
I had one of those on the plot on Sunday, it had flown away by the time I got my phone to take a piicture :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2014, 03:53 »
Wheelbarrow to the rescue yesterday...... twice I had to chase a squirrel who decided to help replant some daffodils that I had lifted and set out to dry.

I guess I shouldn't complain - at least it was leaving my shallots alone for a change.  :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2014, 07:47 »
Took dog for walk the other week and he walked straight past this little fella munching away on seeds right in the middle of pathway.
Never even bothered when I went up close to take pictures, finished what he was eating, then sat on grass verge and started eating something else.
DSCF5664 (400 x 304).jpg
DSCF5667 (400 x 302).jpg

blackberryjam

« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2014, 08:09 »
Had this little chappie come to see me near our pond today, not sure what sort of Shield Bug it is, there are so many.

I think it's called a woundwort shieldbug

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24 »
Thanks, we usually get the common green coloured ones, but never seen this one before.

archibtbm

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2014, 20:02 »
i found this in the polytunnel today.  I'm not sure about the cluster of yellow eggs and if they belong to it.
Beetle in polytunnel.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2014, 08:11 »
it's a cinnabar moth and yes the eggs are the right colour to be it's eggs, the caterpillars of this moth are identified by their yellow and black hoops  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:15 by joyfull »

Thrift

« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07 »
Took dog for walk the other week and he walked straight past this little fella munching away on seeds right in the middle of pathway.
Never even bothered when I went up close to take pictures, finished what he was eating, then sat on grass verge and started eating something else.

I filmed one of these sweet little creatures having a lovely midnight feast. The only problem - it was munching my lettuces!

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't tell them off cos they're too cute. :D

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Collecting "Non-sensitive" data

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2019, 15:28
by mrs bouquet
xx
"500 words" school competition.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 08:48
by Goosegirl
xx
"Spring cleaning" the garden !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 20:06
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 56 queries.