Norlett 5000

• 4 Replies

RupertM

Norlett 5000
« on: August 07, 2020, 11:46 »
Hi all,

I am new on here, so please forgive me if this have been covered before. For many years there has been an old Norlett rotavator left in my shed from the former house owners. I have identified it as a 5000 and have for the last few weeks been making an effort to get it running. I’ve done so and in the process completely rebuilt the carb, fitted electronic an ignition conversion, new breather pipes exhaust. It’s running lovely now.
However, there is an oil leak from the bottom of the drive system, where the tyne shaft comes from the housing. I’ve found a PDF manual on here and going to look dropping the whole gear assembly, does anyone know if the oil seals are commercial available?
My next questions are around the accessories, I’ve had a good look in the shed and found a few bit that go with it, namely some additional tynes, a dozer blade, what looks like some kind of edging disc which slips on the side of the tynes, a plough and set of towed tynes.
My questions are, does anyone know if any of the modern rotavators have similar 30mm drive shaft and therefor enable me to use these wheels on my old Norlett to tow the plough and cultivator tynes?
Also, the front dozer mount seems to be missing, does anyone what this looks like so I can make one, or better still buy somewhere?
Many thanks.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Norlett 5000
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 10:47 »
Thought someone with Norlett experience would have chimed in by now. Anyway, I know nothing about them, but Norlett wheels do pop up on eBay now and then, look a lot like Merry Tiller wheels,  but a rather pointed profile to the solid tyres, and the 30mm hole, marks them out as Norlett. Possible that fellow Scandinavians, Viking may use 30mm shafts, though most machines seem to be slimmed down to 25mm these days. The oil seals will almost certainly be available from bearing suppliers, accurate sizing of OD, ID and width, plus are they single or double lip, and do they have steel spring rings inside? Are all important to get the correct seals. Not entirely sure you did fit the dozer blade to the front, one would have thought the bracket would be with the blade, if available. You could fit a blade to front, or back, on Merry Tillers but never seen a dozer blade advertised for Norletts so who knows.
R Tallentire

jezza

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:12 »
Hello I've just got back on to site (been in hospital ) I have a set of instruction manuals for Norlett  rotavators they have the plough snow plough,drag ,and trailer fitting instructions  will sort them this evening, jezza

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 08:14 »
Can't guarantee it, but these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merry-tiller-wheels/154056635683?hash=item23de7db523%3Ag%3AeC8AAOSwfVRfQqnX&LH_Auction=1 look more like Norlett than Merry Tiller wheels. Worth asking the seller what dia the holes are, 30mm = Norlett, over 32mm = Merry Tiller.

Alcamo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:12 »
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and look forward to contributing if I can.  I am a keen gardener and have kept an allotment for 30+ years and am still learning!

I have a 3hp Norlett and a Norlett 5000 two speed.  The 3hp has been fantastic over thirty years but has now started to leak like a sieve through the tine shaft oil bearings.   Is anyone able to tell me the size of oil seal required so that I can order in advance?  The weather is just right for working the soil and I would like to keep the downtime to a minimum.  Any help gratefully received.

xx
Norlett 5000 rotavator

Started by Riverdrifter on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 19:07
by jezza
xx
Norlett 5000 cultivator depth bar needed.

Started by Paul Rhodes on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 19:09
by bluedog
xx
norlett 3

Started by dragline on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 29, 2008, 17:19
by Yorkie
clip
Norlett Tillermate 5s

Started by JWright on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2022, 00:43
by JWright

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.