Chitting upside-down

• 17 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Chitting upside-down
« on: February 15, 2010, 14:42 »
No, not a rather dubious South Yorkshire practice but an observation I made this morning whilst checking my Lady Christl seed potatoes which are chitting in egg boxes in a coolish north-facing bedroom.

Half of them had still tiny but healthily-coloured purple chits on them, the rest none until I turned them upside-down and found that these had (obviously much paler) chits underneath.

First time with Lady Christl; they are smaller and rounder than others I have grown in the past which makes if difficult to decide which is the rounder end (the end with the most shoots which you should place uppermost when chitting).

Might be worth a quick furtle for those experiencing apparently patchy chitting (easier to type than say!)  :blush:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Re: Chitting upside-down
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 15:30 »
I found the same thing - despite thinking I'd carefully identified the eye-side & put them all the right way up in egg-boxes, found I had to turn a few around at the weekend.

Though I'd always associated the word furtle with a gentle rummaging of fingertips in compost. What's the right expression for this? Quick fumble/fiddle/pivot/trundle in the egg-box?

Trundle's good :D

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 16:46 »
Mine are just laid out in open trays in the greenhouse, up will be where the first 3 eyes get cracking.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 16:50 »
Digger Dave (DD) gave us a good tip this year. 

"belly button down" 

You can see where the seed potato was attached to the parent plant last year.  This is the opposite end to the rose end where the chits will develop.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 16:57 »
Well, you learn something new every day! Never noticed potatoes had belly buttons but just had a look and they do (and, yes, the chits are at the opposite end!)

(Just got to work out how to keep them free of belly-button fluff now!)  :D

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 17:01 »
Interesting - I saw this so went to check my Lady Christl. They all have healthy chits but I notice 2 have chits at either end. Does this mean I could cut these in half at planting and get 2 to plant or will cutting them leave open to rotting where cut?
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 17:09 »
Think I know the answer to that one: yes you can cut seed potatoes if both pieces have at least a couple of shoots, but you should do it a few days before planting to allow the cut surface to "heal", and preferably also dust with flowers of sulphur to prevent infection.

(Having said that I've cut them in half at planting time and got away with it but it's always a good idea to take precautions if you know about them.)

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 19:23 »
Another good reason to chit -- so if mistakes are made no real harm is done compared to actually planting upside down. Seems a bit early in the year for advocating quick furtling though - still any excuse !!!!!!!!!
R

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 21:00 »
Mine are just laid out in open trays in the greenhouse, up will be where the first 3 eyes get cracking.

:lol:  Love it.

I have mine laid out on old mini green house racking with each seed supported by the grating so all sides get light.  I like to see nice green/purple shoots growing very slowly.  Any rapid growth is usually too brittle to survive planting so gets rubbed off.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 21:53 »
Another good reason to chit -- so if mistakes are made no real harm is done compared to actually planting upside down. Seems a bit early in the year for advocating quick furtling though - still any excuse !!!!!!!!!
R

Furtling is fun, furtling is dandy,
Furtling your spuds; it's really quite handy.
There's many ways to furtle,
But please just remember;
It's something to do right from Jan till December.

(I've not been quite the same since since Larrk roise to Candleforrd starrrted!)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 22:04 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09 »
Yep, I did checked through my potatoes and more than a couple had shoots from underside. sorted and thanks for the information
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

madcat

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11 »
(I've not been quite the same since since Larrk roise to Candleforrd starrrted!)

Is that all????   :lol: :lol: :lol:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 13:23 »

Is that all????   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably not; I think chatting to some of you barm-pots has brought out the worst in me!
 ::)

madcat

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 15:57 »
Fair.  Very fair.  Of course, conversation is a two way thing and I don't think I've got any saner since I've been on this board!   :D

xx
Upside Down

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 07:28
by WG.
xx
Upside down tomato's

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:51
by loubylou29
xx
Upside down toms???

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 20:13
by mattwragg94
xx
upside down tomato

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 16:24
by frazzy

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 39 queries.