John Grisham

• 20 Replies

mrs bouquet

John Grisham
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:35 »
This author has got a lot to answer for.  He is the man who is currently keeping me awake at night.  I only started dating him a few months ago, but he has really got under my skin.
Apart from that  :D  his books are brilliant.   So far I have read about 5 or 6 of them, and it makes most of my other library material seem fairly dull and boring.
What authors and books are you enjoying at the moment ?   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: John Grisham
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:40 »
I'm not reading anything at the moment but I like his books and also the films made from them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 14:12 »
I thoroughly recommend Diana Gabaldon's  Outlander series, she is a superb writer who really knows her way around words  - I've never read better tbh.

Even on a 2nd or 3rd reading (the first book is 20 years old) they are so absorbing, that I don't want to put them down. She's just finishing book nine and I can't wait...

Other than that I'd have to say Donna Leon with her Venetian detective Commissario Brunetti series. Good storyline plus Venetian atmosphere.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 14:53 »
Mrs B, I love John Grisham too, but he has one awful fault - he doesn't write fast enough to keep up with me.  It's really not good enough you know, and I think I'm going to have to write to him to tell him he must do better. :D
Mum - I read the Diana Gabaldon books some years ago too. The very first one I bought was reduced in Asda, I think, and it was called "Cross Stitch", which has since been renamed. Like you I've read them more than once and enjoy them each and every time.
Lee Child is also a good author as long as you haven't seen Tom Cruise taking the lead as Jack Reacher.  I've never yet watched any of these films because I still can't understand how anyone thought the casting was acceptable. Jack Reacher is supposed to be 6'4", not exactly handsome and fair haired - not a bit like Tom Cruise.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 16:57 »
It's a while since I've managed to read a Grisham -  far too tense!  Jack Reacher is just the same.

But yes, Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti series is lovely.  More gentle and atmospheric.

Plus the Montalbano books.  Assuming they weren't written in English originally, the translations are excellent - you wouldn't know they were translations at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 16:58 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 18:18 »
I'm currently binging on the Montalbano series on bbc iplayer and loving every minute of it.
I've got one or two of the books, but written in Italian, so it's taking me quite a while to plough through them, but they make a pleasant change from the constant grammar exercises in my course, which get a bit monotonous after a while.
I think someone on here recommended books by Tim Weaver, and i've found one or two in the library and enjoyed these too.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 18:28 »
Just started the 750 pages of the fourth Robert Galbraith novel...

J.K.Rowling has developed a fabulous character here, and she really does make for a great story - especially as I've never read any Harry Potter books (not much into fantasy sorry to say)! Might be a good idea to start with the first as they sort of follow on.

Other than that, Tim Weaver's mind-boggling stories, Daniel Silva's great yarns and David Baldacci's fantastic characters and Peter James' Brighton plots just make these January evenings whiz past...

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 19:43 »
Another book I have read countless times, and which always makes me laugh until I cry and cry until I've got through almost a box of tissues is "Winterdance" by Gary Paulsen.  Its a true story of a logger, who decides that he wants to run the Iditarod, and sets about gathering a motley team of huskies, and learning how to run a sled team. Even if you don't like dogs this book takes the reader on a wonderful journey and through a  whole raft of emotions.  It is the one book in my collection I never loan to anyone, I'm too afraid of never getting it back. I think you might still be able to get a copy from somewhere such as Amazington, and it's worth every single penny.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 21:35 »
I've got one or two of the books, but written in Italian, so it's taking me quite a while to plough through them,

I got the first book and found it difficult enough, but impossible for me when the Sicilian dialect is thrown in for good measure - I gave up in the end  :blush:

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 08:02 »
I agree with you about the Sicilian dialect, MoS, they also sometimes use totally different words, and when listening to Montalbano on the tv they pronounce them differently too.  They also speak at ninety miles an hour, but I think that is generally an Italian thing anyway.  I can follow some, but not all of it, and I've come to the conclusion that I will NEVER understand what the character Caterella is saying, so I don't even bother trying now.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:08 »
I'm currently ready Elly Griffiths' Janus Stone (its part of the Dr Ruth Galloway series). I first got onto her last year at Bristol Airport on my way to Salou, I've never been a big reader but once i've started her book I cant put it down.

I also like to listen to audio books since I accidentally subscribed to amazons Audible. I'm listening to '7 habits of highly effective people' recommended by Cliff Ennico of youtube fame.
Ches

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 19:42 »
I agree with you about the Sicilian dialect, MoS, they also sometimes use totally different words, and when listening to Montalbano on the tv they pronounce them differently too.  They also speak at ninety miles an hour, but I think that is generally an Italian thing anyway.  I can follow some, but not all of it, and I've come to the conclusion that I will NEVER understand what the character Caterella is saying, so I don't even bother trying now.

I'm not sure you're supposed to understand him or that he's supposed to make sense!  Even in the English translation/subtitles it's mangled English!!  :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 21:25 »
I like my Terry Pratchett still and at the moment I'm reading through the English versions of Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books. I'm a video gamer who played the games and wanted to go back and read the books, especially as Netflix have started a tv show based on the series. Geek heaven.

Occasionally I read gardening books by some duffer called John Harrison  :tongue2:

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 22:22 »
Thanks to Growster (ssh he doesn’t know cos I forgot to tell him lol) I’m addicted to the Scarpetta novels, I keep finding 2nd hand books here & there & have had a few from the library, only trouble is I can’t put them down once I start. Some are in storage at our daughters & I found a load at the churches Christmas sale day so I bought them all but found I’d read most of them, so when I get the others back I’m going to go through them & reread them but in order as I think that’ll help no end with my understanding of the character lol lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 06:21 »
Snows, we're just starting out on all these again!

Our niece is a doctor in Virginia, home of Patricia Cornwell, and there is a huge following over there.

We found that she wrote more on the darker side in her later novels, possibly since she allowed a lot of her personal life intrude, but that doesn't mean that her plots are usually totally rivetting!

xx
The other John Harrison

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 09:19
by madcat
xx
Olivia Newton-John RIP :-(

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2022, 11:32
by mrs bouquet
xx
Win ALL of John's books PLUS 10 packs of Suttons Seeds! Competition Time

Started by Caralou on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2022, 08:36
by Caralou

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 55 queries.