Allium leaf miner

• 4 Replies

Leafydan

Allium leaf miner
« on: November 07, 2017, 13:49 »
I have just completed my first year of my allotment, with varying success. My biggest failure,( ant that of the whole allotment), was the complete wipe-out of the leeks. They all looked ok but when we prepared them, they were full of brown critters,resembling a brown grain of rice. I found on the RHS site that it is the Allium leaf miner, a fly that first appeared in 2002 ,and has swept most of England and Wales "hobby gardeners and allotments". Has anyone else had this problem and is it worth trying again next year ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Allium leaf miner
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 14:35 »
Welcome to the forums.

As you have a specific question relating to GYO, I'll move this post there. In the meantime you might want to have a look at this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=126870.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

John Martin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 12:30 »
Help Please,

For the first time I have been affected by Alium Leaf Fly and have been advised not to compost any affected plants.
Is it considered safe to dig in affected plants as I religiously follow a four year crop rotation?
Any help or advice in dealing wit this problem would be very much appreciated.
Cheers

John

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 14:23 »
The only solution I found was to permanently cover the all allium crops with enviromesh. I had no issue with composting material and I can't see how it would cause a problem either. The problem is so bad here I no longer grow anything that gets them  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 16:54 »
yes, the same here... cover with fine mesh like enviromesh to keep the critturs out. Also keeps out Leek Moth etc to and should solve your problem

Regarding disposing of infected stems, when the little pupae hatch out they will look for live material on which to lay eggs (once mated of course). If it is composted, they may well die anyway and there certainly won;t be much for any larvae to feed on, so I shouldn't worry about that

You mentioned crop rotation, but I need to add that if you grow any Alliums on the same ground again, there is a good chance there may be stray pupae in the soil  which will hatch and then be trapped UNDER your mesh and so  alt of damage!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 22:28
by mumofstig
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 01:08
by vron
clip
Allium Leaf Miner

Started by CSChris89 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2023, 09:11
by steven c
xx
Allium Leaf Miner.

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:47
by JayG

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 40 queries.