Allium Leaf Miner.

• 19 Replies

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Allium Leaf Miner.
« on: March 02, 2015, 22:22 »
Lifting some leeks between snow showers, I noticed that some of them were infected with allium leaf miner, their larvae obviously all around them. I have always grown my leeks from seed, and it is the first time that I have seen this pest in Glasgow. Last year my garlic, onions and shallots were superb, the best that I have ever grown. Looks as if it was the second hatching of the allium leaf miner flies that infected my leeks in the Autumn.
Has anyone else seen them infecting crops in Glasgow??

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Allium Leaf Miner.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34 »
How annoying :(

I'm planning, from this year, to cover my Leeks & Onions, rather than wait until having a crop infected.  Wouldn;t have even known about the risk but for the forums ...

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58 »
That's a worry RF, I didn't know they were that far North, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 14:12 »
They made a nice mess of my leeks last year here in Sheffield, although on reflection there was a little damage the previous year but I pretended not to notice.  :nowink:

Having been first discovered in the Midlands in 2002, it's been slowly working its way across the rest of the country since then, but it's still a bit of surprise to hear that it's now reached as far north as Glasgow.

Some sources of information state that it can attack all alliums, including ornamentals, and I can't help wondering whether the recent popularity of flowering types hasn't helped speed up the rate of spread (not that such speculation changes anything one jot!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 16:23 »
I was shocked to discover them, as I thought that they had a long way still to go to reach Glasgow!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51 »
I had it last year too with my leeks (onions were ok). Does this mean it is another crop I should be netting? And is this likely to make rust more prevalent because of thwack of airflow?  Leeks and garlic seem quite prone to rust on my plot annoyingly

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:30 »
They destroyed 3 rows of lovely leeks here in Birmingham a few years back so I stopped growing them for 2 or 3 years. Tried again last year and they were OK.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37 »
I'm fortunate not to have had them as yet and I sincerely hope not as I have had to cut down the types of veg I grow and leeks are one of the few left. I love them!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 13:12 »
I had it last year too with my leeks (onions were ok). Does this mean it is another crop I should be netting? And is this likely to make rust more prevalent because of thwack of airflow?  Leeks and garlic seem quite prone to rust on my plot annoyingly

Good point, and I don't know the answer, although I suppose you could surmise (hope) that the enviromesh or whatever would reduce the number of airborne spores reaching the plants more than the reduced airflow increased the humidity.  :unsure:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 17:56 »
Good point - I hadn't thought of it like that! Currently I use debris netting(with stitches up holes) for everything and it works fantastically well. Is this small enough for leaf miner?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 18:00 »
Currently I use debris netting(with stitches up holes) for everything and it works fantastically well. Is this small enough for leaf miner?

I don't think so, no. Neither for Carrot fly. Sadly. But I could do with confirmation pls.

Flowertot

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 22:37 »
Currently I use debris netting(with stitches up holes) for everything and it works fantastically well. Is this small enough for leaf miner?

I don't think so, no. Neither for Carrot fly. Sadly. But I could do with confirmation pls.

Definitely not, in my experience anyway.  This year I have bitten the bullet and gone for Enviromesh - I'm using it to cover a large bed where I plan to grow onions, shallots, carrots and parsnips.

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47 »
In our letter from the council it has been reported that allotments in the London Borough of Sutton had problems with Allium Leaf Miner last year so I will be making more hoops with debris netting which work fine for me in keeping the carrot root fly away, but more importantly the foxes off the beds  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 09:08 »
Allium leaf miner flies are 3mm
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=643

so stretch your debris netting, as if over your frame/hoops, and see what size the mesh is - some makes seem to have bigger holes than others.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 17:15 »
Good idea - thanks mum! I will be doing that this weekend so I can plan ahead. I have never got carrots to grow successfully here yet so haven't tested out effectiveness against carrot fly. It's just so frustrating having to net and cover EVERYTHING now :(

xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 22:28
by mumofstig
xx
Allium leaf miner !

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2022, 22:39
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 01:08
by vron

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.