Mosskiller & weedkiller

• 8 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Mosskiller & weedkiller
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:27 »
Following on from the post of 3 years ago (by sadgit et al) what was the outcome? I'm having GreenThumb apply mosskiller (and possibly weed/feed) next month. The grass definitely needs it (particularly as the chooks don't eat moss!!)
Do you think it'll be OK to let them out as usual?
Thanks.

Casey76

Re: Mosskiller & weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58 »
I would keep the hens off the grass for 2 weeks until the weeds have died.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:39 »
My hens were fabulous scratcher-uppers of moss in the lawn. They did a fantastic job of work, and they ate the weeds.  My husband was well miffed when I got hens as he thought they'd wreck the lawn but they cleared it of moss, ate weeds, and manured it so it was always green.  He was in love with them after that. They did dig holes though but I minimised the damage by keeping them moving to different areas so I could repair the divots  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 15:20 »
Feed and weed killers I have used state that for 3 mowings after treatment you are not to use the clippings for compost so I would think that the same would apply for letting hens feed on treated grass.  If it is not a large area you might be better using a lawn rake to get the moss up and give the grass a chance to grow back naturally.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 19:32 »
My hens were fabulous scratcher-uppers of moss in the lawn. They did a fantastic job of work, and they ate the weeds.  My husband was well miffed when I got hens as he thought they'd wreck the lawn but they cleared it of moss, ate weeds, and manured it so it was always green.  He was in love with them after that. They did dig holes though but I minimised the damage by keeping them moving to different areas so I could repair the divots  :D

Now that's really encouraging CQ - maybe I should wait and see if mine do the same (haven't even got them yet!!) and then I won't need Green Thumb!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 21:20 »
Personally I would avoid using any moss or weed killers on my lawn where chickens may be grazing.  Recently a local woman started losing her ducks and chickens and couldn't work out why.  It turned out she had used something on her lawn three weeks earlier and despite lots of rain the residue was enough to kill her birds. :(

Of course she was horrified, as she had specifically told the garden centre people about her birds and they had said the treatment would be safe.

(Sorry I don't know the active ingredient in the product she uised.)

My partner refers to our lawn as a 'biodiversity reservoir'  :lol:  Basically that means it has many different species of grass, moss and flat-leafed plants.  Other people might think it's scruffy, but we say it's just diverse!  :).

chris rob

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:08 »
hi
i phoned green thumb and asked the same question, they told us to keep the chickens off the grass for a week so to be on the safe side we left it almost two and all has been well.
regards chris

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 16:44 »
Thanks for all the the advice - think I'll get green thumb to leave an area untreated and keep the chooks on that for a couple of weeks before free ranging. Might even get them to clear my veg patch for the winter!
How I love this site - lots of good ideas! Thanks.

indigo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 19:28 »
Dont know about the weed/moss killer, but the hens will clear your veggie patch! i take the netting down from round it and let them loose on it. They get the weeds and scratch it up so well, it doesnt need much digging!

xx
chickens v weedkiller

Started by z3na on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 08:17
by Yorkie
xx
Organic weedkiller or weeds?

Started by Beakybird on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 18:02
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.