Building a shelter

• 4 Replies

Andy1981

Building a shelter
« on: April 06, 2010, 14:18 »
Hi all,

Newbie here and also a newbie allotment plot holder!

We've a new plot which has previously been used a grazing for sheep and ponies, so we're really starting from scratch.

I've been amazed at the prices of sheds, so we've decided that as seeing as we live within 10 minutes easy walking from the plot, we'll store our tools at home.

Though it still would be good to have a simple shelter structure where we can sit if it's raining and have a prep area and somewhere to brew up etc., but not have to worry about it being secure enough to store expensive tools in.

I have visions of a simple 3 or 4 sided structure with a corrugated plastic roof so we can catch and re-use rainwater. Has anyone seen anything like this?

All advice is appreciated!

compostqueen

Re: Building a shelter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 16:56 »
Someone on our site has a lean-to porch affair (to the main shed) but they use it for putting the pram under and for laying out their baby blanket  :)  They have their chairs under there as well, again handy in sun or rain

It would be a good place to brew up and do your potting up etc. A table would be a boon  :)  Freecycle is a good place to get one.  Good idea about the water butt too. You'd be amazed at just how much water you'd get

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06 »
I would collect some logs from a local woodland owner 4 x 8ft x 4inch diameter and some smaller logs length of the roof sheeting maybe 2inch diameter and do a rustic looking frame from that i would look at the munty style frame on a bigger scale.
Thanks
Kris

Andy1981

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 13:29 »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I may be able to get hold of some free timber - my Dad works at an old mill converted into a business park and they often have wooden palletts going spare.

I've been keeping an eye on freecycle so we'll see what we can get our hands on there too!

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 19:11 »
Stu on our allotment has an outdoor bit added to his shed. Four posts with a corrugated roof. Roof from screwfix, I think, asit is thicker than wickes. Wood he scrounged. Making a pergola now, soil at back too dry, for a bbq area.
Sheds can be broken into & 10min walk is not far. Greenhouse might be useful though.

xx
building a shed or shelter.

Started by greenfingered on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 16:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
shelter for my wormery

Started by metalkitten on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 13:48
by metalkitten
xx
Rainwater Collection Shelter

Started by john10001 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 08:42
by Yorkie
xx
Ideas/advice for DIY tomato shelter

Started by Middlesexbloke on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 19:53
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.