Fertiliser

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Fertiliser
« on: June 07, 2020, 16:29 »
What would you regard as a general or balanced fertiliser please   ?      I need the names to buy some !   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 17:28 »
In the garden I like using Miracle-Gro Slow Release All Purpose Plant Food - sprinkle some and it feeds the plants for months.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/garden---outdoor-281816-44/miracle-gro-slow-release-all-purpose-plant-food-1kg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 19:31 »
Growmore is a balanced fertiliser -  though probably best if you're using it in open ground.

Essentially you're looking for the N:P:K figures all being about the same.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 19:31 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 12:13 »
Thanks for that folks.    I have recently got a new Miracle Grow, granules.   It is to go into the bamboo pots.  I don't keep them in quite a mean way.   I shall give them a treat today.   Later this summer a person will drag them out of their pots,  saw them in half and then replant them for me.    Meanwhile I am sure they will enjoy some TLC.    thanks again from the bamboos and me,    Mrs B

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 17:45 »
Hello a good general fertilizer is Growmore check the formula eg 7,7,7 if its 11,11,27 that's like Phostrogen  miracle grow usually has a high  N (Nitrogen ) number the other 2 are usually longer

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 22:24 »
Nearly all plants need more nitrogen and potassium (1st and 3rd numbers) than phosphorus.  In terms of what plants will use, go with a High-Low-High NPK ratio.

Even better have an agricultural lab do a basic soil test for you, for fertilizer recommendations.  Usually the test is fairly inexpensive.  Take several samples to "plough layer" depth (extending from surface to roughly 20 cm deep, about 2cm broad, 2 cm thick, precision not essential), from locations across your plot, at least 6 locations, more is better.  Chop and mix thoroughly in a plastic bucket.  A soil lab will need a sub-sample of that soil about the size of your fist. Ask for fertilizer recommendations for your most challenging crop.  Provide fertilizer based on that test.

I used to do soil sampling as a standard part of one of my past jobs (about 23 years of it).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:28 »
 yes I think having you soil tested is a good idea we had our allotment ground tested about two years ago and found it very helpful well worth the cost it listed a detailed list what was needed to improve the ground

being a user of both chemical and organic fertilizers depending on the crops grown I was advise by a professional  gardener to try a fertilizer with a 16-16-16 rating he swears by this fertilizer and looking at his crops it looks worth trying but i have to say i haven't bought any yet

and again its all down to personal choice some don't like using chemical fertilizer and prefer to use organic others like me still use both having said all that its back to basics what you take out the ground you must put back feeding the ground with whatever is the way forward that's my opinion

xx
Lime – the vital fertiliser

Started by gifutiger on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 11:41
by niclala
xx
The best fertiliser is a gardeners shadow.

Started by Stree on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:23
by Yorkie
xx
Rolawn Lawn Establishment Fertiliser

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 10:44
by jezza

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 46 queries.