Clipped Wings ?

• 10 Replies

steaders

Clipped Wings ?
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:17 »
Another newby question I'm afraid :ohmy:

We would like to let the hens (4) out into the garden occasionaly ( for a bit of reacreational exercise) but are worried they may fly over my neighbours fence ( 3ft high).

Should their wing(s) be clipped? and is it something I can do myself?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Clipped Wings ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23 »
You should only clip one wing - this will leave them a bit off balance. However I gave that up as mine could still fly over a 3 foot high. Now at least I know they can fly up into the trees if they want to roost or get out of my youngest dogs way should she venture too close.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:58 »
A lot depends on the breed of chicken, the lighter breeds (and some say all hens with white ears) will be more inclined to fly while the heavier breeds and older hens seldom  try. If you have big flower pots or other launch pads nearby  even a big clipped hen will go over a 3 ft fence.

steaders

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08 »
Thanks for the help.  What sort of height can they not get over?. The rest of the garden has 6ft panels around it. I could make my side of the neighbors fence higher , we don't chat over it very much any more. The hens are Hybrids 2 brown, 2 grey speckly, not sure what exactly.

P.S. collecting them on Sunday and the lady I bought them from has offered to clip them for me if I wish. I dont want to cause the poor things additional stress by having a clip and moving to a new home with somebody who doesn't know what he's doing.  What do you think???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:17 »
Six feet should be ok, the two of mine with clipped wings are a bluebelle and a blackrock (red eared btw), both of which could fly very very well  :lol: Now they are 15/16 months old they don't bother - they just run along with their wings outstretched but they can still jump two feet high if they need to  :lol: Now I have some young banties and boy can they fly  :D

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 20:42 »
My CL hybrids can fly like the very devil, clear 6 ft from a standing start, but one wing clipped stopped that little game. Eventually. I had to be rather more brutal with the clipping than I anticipated.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 18:02 »
All of my warrens were able to clear 4 foot even with clipping, I've increased it all to over 5 foot now and no more escapees. The silkies and silkie cross don't seem interersted in flying and the Poland cock bird can get up into the tree and roost at 6 foot and could fly out over the fence if he wanted to, but doesn't seem inclined to do so thankfully.

I'd say 5 foot fence even with clipping if they are young birds inclined to escape  :)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 18:12 »
My Warrens don't seem to be interested in flying at all, but wehn they have it's like watching a clown car falling apart...  :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 18:16 »
I may just have stroppy escapee hens then  :lol: It's only really two of them now that always try, and that's because they know the good stuff (my potted veggies) are on the other side of the fence  ::)

I know what you mean thoug, not the most graceful of birds are they  ??? :lol:

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 18:30 »
all of mine, wings clipped or not can easily fly over our garden wall :mad:

steaders

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55 »
Looks like I will have see how our new arrivals (on Sunday  :ohmy:!!!) will be inclined.  I will give them a week or so in the covered run and then keep an eye on the when/if we do let them roam.  Charlie the Springer Spanial is very old and infirm but we will keep him inside while the hens are out.

Thanks for all the info

xx
Should I get wings clipped?

Started by Njal on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 15:04
by Roughlee Handled
xx
took aunt sally's advice- clipped wings!

Started by Chookaholic on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 21:52
by Chookaholic
question
Should i let my chickens in our garden? They havnt had wings clipped

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 21:45
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Clipped Beaks.

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 21:54
by Chicken star

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 37 queries.