Ammonium Sulphamate for the compost heap

• 4 Replies

composthappens

Ammonium Sulphamate for the compost heap
« on: September 10, 2011, 22:58 »
hi all,

does anyone know how much of the above i need to use for the compost heap? do i add it dry or add water?

I found a site that does it at a reasonable price (i think)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Ammonium Sulphamate for the compost heap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16 »
Ammonium sulphamate was not submitted to the EU for approval as a herbicide so it was withdrawn for that use in 2008 (in other words it can't now be legally used for this purpose.)

I understand that as a compost accelerator it works by being first broken down into ammonium sulphate, so you might as well buy that instead (it should be cheaper.)

Ammonium sulphate can also be used to give a nitrogen boost to lawns and as an acidifying dressing to ericaceous plants, which is something you definitely don't want to try with ammonium sulphamate!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18 »
I think you mean sulphate of ammonia (which is a lot cheaper). Ammonium Sulphamate is a variant on the sulphate of ammonia molecule. It was used as a very safe and effective weed killer, especially for difficult weeds like mares tail but is no longer on the approved list.
It worked by fooling the plant it was taking on nitrogen which it couldn't use - a bit like carbon monoxide in blood, fools the red cells and locks them up.

Anyway, sulphate of ammonia is a straight, high nitrogen fertiliser and you can use it as an activator on the compost heap. 50gr sprinkled on or mixed in water and applied with a rose will get it started. An even cheaper way to get it going is urine. This also contains a lot of nitrogen and is free.

I checked with a doctor and human urine is sterile when produced (unless you've a serious problem in which case the hospital will advise)

Some people are selling ammonium sulphamate as a compost activator - but it's really 'under the counter' selling of illegal weedkiller.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 20:19 »
Ammonium sulphate can also be used to give a nitrogen boost to lawns and as an acidifying dressing to ericaceous plants
Doesn't adding something acidifying to your lawn just encourage moss?
I say this because i lime my lawn....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 21:47 »
Ammonium sulphate can also be used to give a nitrogen boost to lawns and as an acidifying dressing to ericaceous plants
Doesn't adding something acidifying to your lawn just encourage moss?
I say this because i lime my lawn....

Acid soil is only one of at least half a dozen causes of moss in lawns, and one of the others is poor grass growth due to lack of nitrogen, so I guess you pays your money and takes your choice, although I agree it's something to be cautious with if your lawn soil is already acidic.

xx
Composting perennial weed roots with Ammonium sulphamate?

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2011, 15:25
by bazh
xx
Compost heap/bin yay or nay?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 09:20
by Trikidiki
xx
Compost heap

Started by Pauly1958 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 05, 2019, 05:54
by Growster...
xx
can this go on compost heap?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 20:34
by SPOTTIES

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.