broad bean dispute

• 9 Replies

Katt

broad bean dispute
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:13 »
hey guys im currently chitting some broad beans....but me and my boyfriend are having a dispute about how it the best way to go about it!!...I think they should go on a saucer in a little water thats topped up daily...and he says they should be in a bowl completely emmersed in water!!...heeeeeelp meeeeeeee whos right??!!!
Help!! Im just starting out!!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
broad bean dispute
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:17 »
chitting ... broad beans ... I didn't think anyone did that, you just plant the things.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
broad bean dispute
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21 »
Ye i just plant mine, but if i was to do it ur way i would fully immerse them for 24 hrs
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
broad bean dispute
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 13:03 »
I looked up some stuff now. You can soak them for 24hs or overnight. That helps germination. I think if you leave them in water for longer than that, you might possibly drown the seeds. Think of how they'd be if left in soggy mud for more than a day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
broad bean dispute
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 14:19 »
I just planted my first lot of broad beans in pots and they are just coming through!

oggy

broad bean dispute
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 14:58 »
Hi all

I was given BB seeds from my 82 yrs old plot neighbour, ( part of last years crop ) and advised to plant out in Feb, this I did, and despite the weather they are 2 to 3 ins up.
No help , just left them to it.

oggy

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
broad bean dispute
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 16:33 »
Mine are about 5 inchs now and they r a week old lol my peas r doing great so r the runners :) They r in pots in my propagator tho so that helps abit lol

flowerofshona

broad bean dispute
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 19:53 »
As i was so ill this winter i did all my BB and peas in root trainers and had 100% germantion in warm greenhouse and they are in the lottie and doing really well :) i would recomend this way to anyone its brilliant !!  :lol:  
We did put some BB in the plot in November and had very poor germanation and they dont look happy.
Never heard of 'chitting' BB's but hey go for it :)

Victoria Plum

old seed - how long to wait
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 13:08 »
I've got several old seed packets - 2 years old roughly. I've sown them (last weekend) and they're in a propogator. My question is, how long do I wait before I give up on them?

I've sown tomatoes, chillis, basil, courgettes and french beans. I've also sown broad beans in 3" pots - but I can't fit them in the propogator so they're on the window sill of an unheated conservatory.

One of my new allotment friends suggested starting seed for beans, sweetcorn, peas etc. in a tupperware box with damp kitchen towl above and below the seeds. I've done this and left it on a warm window sill and all the sweetcorn seeds (also about 2 years old) have germinated. I guess I now have to plant them. Was going to put them in newspaper tubes with compost in as I've read that they don't like root disturbance - any comments anyone?

Have also cheated slightly and bought 15 broad bean plants at 10p ago at a local nursery run by adults with special needs - lots of other bargains to be had there so I'll be back to see them again!
Gone Diggin'

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
broad bean dispute
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 13:28 »
How long to wait depends on the seeds - they all have different germination times.

Chitting (pre-germinating) seeds is sometimes worth it but I wouldn't bother with most things. Sweetcorn, seems a good idea as it is often a pain.

I tried the toilet roll inners for sweetcorn and it was a disaster. I'm told I should have kept them damper but I find 3" pots work pretty well for me. So I stick to what works (usually)

Well done for supporting the nursery.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Which broad bean?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 12:27
by Snoop
xx
What is this on my broad bean and is it serious?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2021, 19:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
Broad bean

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 12:01
by mjg000
xx
Broad bean help

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 15:32
by DonnaP

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 35 queries.