compost bin advice

• 11 Replies

Kim

compost bin advice
« on: March 28, 2006, 20:10 »
hello again all ! second message in two days ,really am new to all this . Along with my new garden veggie plot i have aquired one of those black plastic compost bins determined to do my bit for mother nature, however i am getting mixed advice on how to start it off . Could I have some simple steps on how I should be going about it ?.CHEERS KIM . :roll:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
compost bin advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 20:25 »
I use one of these in the garden. Remove lid, chuck in stuff, replace lid!

OK - bit more than that, mix leafy green stuff with high energy stuff. Bit of dilute pee every so often and a dusting of lime every 8 inches to a foot gives the best results. Instead of pee you can use dried blood or sulphate of ammonia or urea. (I suggest applying pee from a bottle, balancing on the top could be dangerous and get you arrested!!!)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Kim

compost bin
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 20:42 »
Thanks for that ! did not know about the pee thing ! will be givig that a miss LOL ,not good at balancing . :oops:

Jake

• Rockers
compost bin advice
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 20:51 »
What about citrus fruit? I've been told not to put that into the compost bin. I can't remember why. Is it true?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
compost bin advice
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 20:54 »
i think some is okay but not too much citrus peel. i don't remember why either. Maybe something to do with it not breaking down so well or quickly or maybe too acidic?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
compost bin advice
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 22:37 »
Too acidic I think, but normal amounts won't make any difference.

Incidentally, grapefruit and orange halves make good slug traps and when they start to decompose, compost them.

cede

compost bin advice
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:56 »
apparently the worms don't like too much citrus. however i just put in all of it and it doesn't seem to be a problem. i have 3 compost bins which i keep at home, i don't have enough stuff at the allotment to justify one there and also it would all be green waste, worried that the balance wouldn't be good enough. at home i put in all grass cuttings (including neighbours', saves them a trip to the tip! and i gain too), garden waste, kitchen veg and fruit scraps, used chicken bedding and excess cardboard and shredded paper.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
Re: compost bin advice
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 13:28 »
good ideas

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 13:51 »
I use everything in ours, shredded paper, food not meat or cooked, leaves, chicken poop, rabbit and guinea pig poop. Grass, i do compost citrus but we dont get huge amounts, also onion skins we dont get a lot of them either. Some people say no to onions but we havent seen any problems. We do add human wee to ours too as it breaks down so much faster

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 16:14 »
Newspapers (apparently they ink is ok these days), loo roll inners, cardboard...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 18:20 »
Don't forget air- start with brown twiggy stuff at bottom and remember to chuck in bits of loo roll, cardboard egg boxes and scrunched newspaper with your weeds & kitchen stuff as you go to allow air to circulate.
I love making compost- it's like cake making. Sort of  :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 19:06 »
I love making compost- it's like cake making. Sort of  :D

Only easier as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing I limit is grass cuttings. In a thick layer they turn to a slimey mush, mixed well with shredded paper or twiggy stuff its not too bad. Also I fill mine, when full leave it and move onto another, then either when the 2nd one is full, or 6months which ever is first turn the first one, leave the second and start the third and continue. by the time the third one is full  the first one should be ready to use (you might need to mix any remaining partially rotted stuff with the one you are turning.

I also have chickens and have found that since adding their muckings out to the compost it really does compost quicker and more completely. I should say I'm using the dalek ones at home. At the plot its a bigger pile that is left to its own devices and turned only when I need to.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Compost advice please

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 17:36
by RichardA
xx
Compost bin advice.

Started by Nadlen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 19:59
by Yorkie
xx
compost advice

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:15
by Yorkie
xx
advice on compost please

Started by digger ray on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 12:43
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 35 queries.