growing all year round

• 5 Replies

chris1976

growing all year round
« on: March 19, 2006, 18:17 »
hello
has any one got any suggestions about how to grow veg all year round. I was wondering if there  was a way to stagger the growing of veg just using a greenhouse and coldstores. If anyone has any tips ect. please let me know
Cheers
chris1976
just started this febuary. So its all hit and miss at te moment. May need help, tips and hints at time so any would be welcome

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
growing all year round
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 19:31 »
Oh boy - you don't ask small questions :)

You can spread the season with greenhouse and polytunnels to some degree. And, as you say, you can sow different varieties of things at different times. What you can't do is to have everything all year round,

We've become used to this fresh vegetables all year round idea - imported beans from Kenya, Strawberries from Israel. Sheer madness in terms of the ecology.

How far you can spread things will depend on your location. Our heavy clay in the North West has a shorter season than a lighter soil a mile away or any soil down south.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

yewtreemob

growing all year round
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 17:34 »
Provided you have a greenhouse or a poly tunnel you can get at least salads all year round.  I have been picking green salad right thro the winter from a greenhouse.  I grow everything in boxes in about 9" of soil/compost mix - rocket, chard, oriental saladini, vit, purslane etc.  You can also do it outside provided you can cover the crops well but I have never tried that as I have a 20' greenhouse.  If it gets really cold I put the boxes inside a second polythene greenhouse (you see them advertised evrywhere for £15 or so) in the main greenhouse.  Then I don't ever need to use parafin or any other heating - and they don't cook if the weather changes John!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
growing all year round
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 18:59 »
Quote from: "yewtreemob"
 Then I don't ever need to use parafin or any other heating - and they don't cook if the weather changes John!

OUCH!!!

Knowing my luck, the cat will just get in there, eat the seedlings (she's a weird cat) and decide the seed tray is an ideal indoor loo :)

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
growing all year round
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 15:11 »
Swiss Chard seems quite hardy here. It's still growing and grew all throughout winter... just a few leaves on it died from the hard frosts but the plant itself didn't. Obviously if you want to eat any in the winter it does need a light cover to keep the frosts from damaging your food!  They're a bit of a bitter green, a little like spinach. Fine when shredded and cooked with other things like in a minestrone-type soup in the winter. Good when small and chopped up and covered in hot bacon dressing  :twisted:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

yewtreemob

Swiss chard
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 21:21 »
absolutely right Heather, Swiss chard is an amazing plant.  I plant a load in root trainers in the early Autumn - this keeps them small and I can pick the leaves for salad all winter from the greenhouse.  This week i will plant them all out and they will grow to large plants with rhubarb sized leaves that we cook like spinach (but I think with better taste)

Richard

xx
Year Round Cabbages?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 20:30
by gobs
xx
All year round cauliflowers

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 16:00
by arugula
xx
What veg grows all year round?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 00:38
by TheSpartacat
xx
all year round lettuce

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 22:27
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 35 queries.