Help re worms please

• 5 Replies

ClarefromOxford

Help re worms please
« on: June 26, 2009, 13:46 »
Hello all. I have just joined up to your great-looking site.

I could do with some advice please as am worried about one of my hens.

I have two 14 week old Marans that I think have worms so have started treating them all with Flubenvet (just had 3rd day). I was away for 10 days and came back to fine one  lethargic and her comb is very pale so I think she must be anaemic. The other is very poorly - lots of gaping, can't walk, lies limply on her side, and now & then has a big squirm about. She seems always hungry when I feed her and perks up a lot then.  I have 2 younger hens who seem fine (but I am treating htem all!).

Of the small amount of poo coming out - was a bit runny and is possibly getting more solid. Otherwise no change over the last couple of days - so I'd like to know how long the treatment usually takes to kick in, and if she is likely to be in pain/huge suffering at the moment and am I being cruel not to put her out of her misery? Its horrible to see her like this but I don't want to give up on her yet...

On someones advice I am also feeding them with live yoghurt and cat food mixed in with pellets to give them a boost, which they all seem to love!

Thanks in advance for any advice!  :unsure:

Vember

Re: Help re worms please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 14:03 »
Hi Claire :)

Welcome to the Hen House :)

I'm a bit worried that the symptoms your describing could be marek's :(

Were they bought from a breeder and if they were do you know if they were vaccinated ? (only big breeders tend to do this ).

In my opinion if it were worms effecting her to this degree by the 3rd/4th day of the treatment you would be seeing them coming out in her poops :(

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 14:25 »
Have you checked the house for red mites ?

ClarefromOxford

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 16:12 »
Hi Claire :)

Welcome to the Hen House :)

I'm a bit worried that the symptoms your describing could be marek's :(

Were they bought from a breeder and if they were do you know if they were vaccinated ? (only big breeders tend to do this ).

In my opinion if it were worms effecting her to this degree by the 3rd/4th day of the treatment you would be seeing them coming out in her poops :(

Thanks for comments - but Marek's sounds serious. Would the worms be very obvious if they were the cause (I haven't inspected v. carefully!)? Is there anything else I should look for that would suggest Marek's? Is it treatable (or notifiable!?)? :(
 I doubt they were vaccinated as I got them from a friend who hatched them, but I will ask and find out if any of his are unwell.

There weren't any obvious mites last time I looked but I'll have another good check.

Clare  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 19:50 by Aunt Sally »

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 16:33 »
For her to be as you describe then if it were worms yes they would be apparent in her droppings especially now they are being wormed :)
Marerks is serious they can only be vaccinated against it at day old and unless vaccinating 1000's of chicks I doubt your friend will have done.
 Birds develop a natural immunity against it once they reach 5/6 months of age and it is the kind of nasty that's there in all our chickens but can flare up at times of stress or just as they are starting to grow up so to speak.

Double check the coop tonight, check with a torch all knooks and crannies and round by the hens feet on the perches as that's were the red mite will be once it's dark  >:(

Please let us know how your getting on :)

ClarefromOxford

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 16:42 »
Ok thanks Sarah.
I'll do mite-checks and poo-examination.!
Will let you know.
Clare  :)

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
question
worms

Started by chook-chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 18:05
by bantam novice
xx
worms

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 15:52
by sussexchook
xx
Worms.

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 12:16
by Pat4d

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.