Moving Dahlias

• 4 Replies

Plot137

Moving Dahlias
« on: September 15, 2019, 13:36 »
Hello, 
Please could I ask for some advice on moving dahlias?
This is my 1st year growing them and they have done wonderfully well but grew taller than I expected.  I plan on overwintering them on the plot under a generous mulch of compost (I live in the South East).  I do not want to dig up and store the tubers (in a shed/garage etc) over-winter; it looks a bit of a faff. 
Does anyone have any advice on the best time to move them? 
Thank you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Moving Dahlias
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 13:55 »
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm no expert but I'd wait till they die-back before moving them. Then you can 'store' them, by planting in their new position and under a mulch, and/or some fleece for protection. Be warned though in an icy cold winter they can still  die, especially if they planted in clay soil.

Good luck!

Plot137

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 16:00 »
Thank you for your reply Leslie,
I have rather a lot to learn. I had not considered waterlogged, cold, clay soil increasing the likelihood of tender tubers rotting – but now you have pointed it out - it seems a very rookie error! This forum is so helpful.
Intuitively what you have suggested about moving the plants after they have died back makes sense too.
I will keep my fingers crossed.
x

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:46 »
we moved our Dahlias of the allotment last year and stored them in the greenhouse but for some reason or another we lost a few tubers

so this year as a trial we are going to leave them in the ground as the ground is not clay and has had plenty of horse manure and straw dug in from the previous year so we are going to spread a layer of horse muck and straw mix over the Dahlia patch hopefully this will keep the frost out it would be a shame to loose them as they have flowered very well over the season so fingers crossed  :mellow:

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 00:41 »
I always leave my dahlias at the allotment in the ground over winter. I started with around 2 dozen plants, and over the years I've lost some  4 or 5 - unfortunately my favourites, the very dark red giant ones. I have an impression that some varieties are more tender than others. They always get a good mulch , whether it's horse poo, council compost, or wood chips. I think I must get some replacements for the giant reds - I miss them so!

I was surprised to discover that my chrysanthemums, which seem more frost-hardy then dahlias, didn't like being left in the ground over winter at all  -  none of them came back. I'm guessing it's the winter damp more than the cold which affects them....?

This year one of my deep red dahlias has produced a multitude of strong stalks - about a dozen - but no flowers, not even any promising buds. I wonder if I should dig it up and divide it....?

xx
Moving dahlias

Started by pommes on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:23
by Yorkie
xx
Dahlias

Started by noshed on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 08:50
by Wizzo
xx
Dahlias

Started by Longshanks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:47
by rowlandwells
question
Dahlias

Started by Percy throwup on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 20:45
by oldgrunge

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 39 queries.