Upcycling - hanging planter

• 5 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Upcycling - hanging planter
« on: April 27, 2014, 21:11 »
Hi,
I want to put my 100's and thousands toms in my greenhouse and haven't got a hanging basket. I've been looking for a way to improvise and found a picture of a bucket hanging by the handle and toms growing out of the bottom. I wondered if I could do something similar with a thick plastic bag or an old grow bag/compost bag? Has anyone tried this? 

I'd love to hear of any other upcycling ideas people have had or have seen. Found a great pic of a greenhouse that has all the 'glass' panels made of plastic bottles. I'll have a go at trying to get some pics on here.
Was discussing a raised bed for my mother (as the soil on her allotment is clay) after reading square metre gardener, we thought the raised beds would be too expensive, however just found a pic of a bookcase laid on its back for this purpose, love it!
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

boddy

• Experienced Member
Re: Upcycling - hanging planter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 21:18 »
think I've mastered the picture thing!

Muppetgirly

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 23:17 »
I'm loving those ideas. 

I don't know about using bags, they would have to be pretty strong to hold the weight of the soil and water. 

Those kinds of buckets are usually found in restaurant litchens containing oil, mayo and other sauces. All the places I have ever worked they were just thrown out...... You could ask in the local chippy or pub to see if they have any old ones.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:11 »
You can get those green hanging pouches / bags from garden catalogues that are used for flowers. I've just giggled "hanging flower pouches" and there are loads.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 15:44 »
You can get those green hanging pouches / bags from garden catalogues that are used for flowers. I've just giggled "hanging flower pouches" and there are loads.

I bought some of those last year for my alpine strawberries.  I wouldn't put tomatoes in them.  It was bad enough keeping it watered well enough for the tiny strawberries.  And I put a length of pipe down the back to help carry the water right down to the bottom!

I had an old kitchen waste bin that had a broken lid.  I used that for a couple of years for tumbling toms.  Put 3 plants in it, and they grew fine draped over the edges.  I put bits of polystyrene in the bottom to help with drainage as well as a few holes.

Once I had some lovely bedding and trailing plants in an old toilet in our garden in Essex until a certain someone backed the car into it!  :mad: :(

boddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 19:35 »
Thanks for the ideas. After waking every hour thinking about it this morning (makes no sense should of been stressing about running a ward rather that my tomato's!!), I decided to go with the bin idea. Had an old plastic kitchen bin in the back garden, I then made holes in an old washing up bowl, planted it with 4 plants (one towards each corner) and sat it in the bin in my greenhouse so the tomatoes can tumble over the sides.  No the funkiest looking thing, but still upcycled. Regretting throwing away and old handbag as I think it would have been fun to plant that up!

xx
Potato Planter Help

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 10:24
by Markw
xx
Large planter

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 17:24
by Yorkie
xx
parsnips in planter

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 21:10
by Yorkie
xx
potato planter.

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 22:50
by WG.

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.