Wolf Garden tools - what size handle?

• 6 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
Wolf Garden tools - what size handle?
« on: December 03, 2013, 21:50 »
For Crimbo I am getting a small selection of wolf garden tools but I don't know which size handle to get the 120cm or the 150cm ?   I am 5'5" and a woman - if that makes any difference??  I thought I would also get the small 32cm handle too - any ideas on which of the larger sizes would be better?  I am tempted to get the longer one because it will reach further however I do not want to find I struggle with it because it is too long??
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

ghost61

Re: Wolf Garden tools - what size handle?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 21:57 »
I use this system and am the same height. I use the 150cm handle and find it fine. Best thing, if you can, is try them for size at he garden centre and see which is best for you. I have the short handle too, but don't find it that comfortable to work with. I think they are great tools, specially their rakes. Enjoy your pressies!

julietmaria

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 22:11 »
Thanks ghost61 that is great to know.  Can you tell me whether the small handle will fit the same tools heads ie if i buy the push pull weeder will it fit on both the 150cm handle and the smaller 30cm handle?  Or do you need seperate heads for the larger and the small handles?  Reading on line and can't work it out!!

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 22:19 »
I am neither female nor 5 foot 5 so excuse me butting in -- I am 6 foot plus and use all the sizes of handle Woolfe make, the longer ones are wood and so are heavier but warmer to use in winter than aluminium. As I have a back that needs care I sometimes kneel and use the very shortest handle (about 30cms?) but I also use the 120 in the polytunnel or greenhouses and 150 in raised beds for long periods without a worry. However I use a 1800 and above in open garden work especially if hoeing is a bit harder than usual. I find a longer handle suits if pulling eg when raking and shorter if pushing eg hoeing.
I think with your height the 150 will be your usual choice but 120 would be useful. If you already have a favourite hoe or "yard" brush then go measure it -- that will be  a guide.
p.s. I also have a telescopic handle for cleaning the greenhouse and harvesting fruit and lopping straggling branches but it can be heavy to use.
Can you try any at a friends or garden centre ?? I think what feels comfy to sweep paths with is about right for raking and hoeing but shorter is easy if used with trowel or fork attachments for digging or cultivating.
Over a lot of years and many birthdays and Christmas's I have collected most of the range and love them all. Best of luck
R

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 22:23 »
my understanding and experience is all attachments fit all handles. My local garden centre often have "starter packs" of perhaps a shaft plus a brush a rake and a hoe for very low cost. Its even a bargain if you already have some of the bits as occasionally one will wear out (such as my favourite push/pull hoe blade) or they can be swapped or just kept as spares. Luckily my happy acre is at home so my shed is handy but I still often take two handles and three or four attachments out with me. I have an old plastic cold box with handle and lid to carry bits about in and to put my radio on when working so it is usually full of Wolfe bits.
Have fun.
R

julietmaria

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 22:51 »
 :D  thanks so much - have just ordered the longer handle and the very short one, plus the push pull weeder and swoe hoe, plus seemed to get the mini hoe for free - maybe because I spent so much!!! I also got the soil miller, not sure if that was a mad idea but it looked fab and husband said he would get me that for my birthday. SO SORTED  and can't wait to start using them.  Thanks again, really appreciate all your advice. :lol:

jezza

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 23:20 »
hi all heads fit the small handle ,a simple test for correct handle length ,select handle put a head on put hands on top of  handle rest chin on hands let the world pass by if back not aching after1/2 hour thats the correct height works every time for me jezza

xx
wolf garden tools

Started by chili on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 12:54
by goodegg
xx
Wolf tools

Started by Snowboar on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 26, 2020, 09:00
by Aidy
xx
Wolf Garten Tools

Started by ouessant on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 18:21
by ouessant
xx
Wolf Garten tools

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 20:13
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.