Dying chickens

• 12 Replies

Spacey

Dying chickens
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:16 »
We had 4 chickens, we have had them 2 years in May (so they were all about 2 1/2). The first two stopped laying before Christmas and we put that down to breed and age. They have looked 'old' for a while but were eating/drinking and pecking about as usual. The first one died a month ago, the second died three weeks later but we weren't surprised. This left us with two chickens, we didn't feel we were able to add to our girls as one of the girls is a bit of a bully and pecks feathers. Unfortunately, the feather pecker died yesterday, she was perfectly fine when i let her out saturday morning, we went away for the overnight and came home yesterday to find her dead!! So a month ago there was four now there is only one! Now  i'm frightened to add to the coop incase its an illness.

Nancy has laid her egg today and is looking very lonely.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dying chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35 »
what breed are they - sadly some birds have been bred to just lay for a couple of years and then be culled or die off, pure breeds though can live a lot longer.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spacey

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:38 »
We had a black rock, two brown warrens (?) and the survivor is a light sussex

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49 »
ok the blackrock is a long lived hybrid as the light sussex a pure breed. The warrens are normally expected to go between 2.5 and 3 years (although you do get the occasional one who will not follow this rule).  If the blackrock showed no signs of any illness she could have suffered a heart attack which can and does happen and nothing could have been done to prevent this sadly.
I would get another couple of birds to go with your remaining girl as they do like company. As she is on her own I would go to a good breeder and not quarantine them - this is purely to stop those 2 bonding and her from being lonely. If they bond before they meet your girl they may gang up on her.

Spacey

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:52 »
Thanks for that. I'll have to sweet talk my husband into some chicken finding action I think. She really does look sad. I followed her round the garden and she is eating and foraging and she saw off our cat so I'm fairly certain she is fine  :)

As for the culling, we were going to but I made the mistake of mentioning this to some friends and I was made to feel extremely mean!  :unsure:

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:07 »
I meant the farmers have then culled - usually at about 18 months old (sometimes even younger  :(), I never cull mine whaen they have stopped laying I let them have a happy retirement but I am lucky and have enough room for them to do this  :)

Spacey

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 16:18 »
I now have four more hens!! Nancy is not happy and is being extremely vocal!!

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 16:21 »
At least she won't be lonely anymore  ::)  :lol:

Give her a few days (and a few treats) she will soon put the others in their place and all should be ok  :)

Spacey

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 16:34 »
She's in the same run but sectioned off as she was going for them. One of them has a travelling injury and has been sprayed with gentian violet!! ( And ME  ::))

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 18:45 »
I had the same problem when the fox got my girls, just leaving me with Miss Gray. I got her 4 new sisters, and I must have been so lucky as she took to them like a duck to water. She didnt go for them, infact she looked after them like a mother. It was great to see, as the newbies helped her to recover from her injuries and helped to combat her depression. Yes I did say depression, the poor little girl was so down and feeling sorry for herself after the tragic loss of her family.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 19:25 »
One of them has a travelling injury and has been sprayed with gentian violet!! ( And ME  ::))

You'll be purple for days  ;)  :lol:  I always manage to spray myself as well  :)

Spacey

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 20:34 »
Girls all tucked up for the night. Nancy the old girl decided to sleep in the nest box so I blocked her in (just in case) with a vegetable box, so she can see and smell her new residents. No one is on the roost bar, but I've left them to it.

I'm not sure what breed they are. Two of them are grey with brown heads and tufty head feathers and are said to lay blue eggs (Princess Layer and Jabba the Chook) and two grey with black heads (Indiana Yolk and Hen Solo)

Spacey

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 21:04 »
Worked out what they are now, 2 bluebells and 2 cream legbars

xx
Dying Chickens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:33
by Vember
xx
Chickens dying

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 17:07
by nerdle
xx
Dying chickens

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 12:06
by joyfull
xx
My chickens are getting splayed legs and dying!!

Started by Richard Boomer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 16:32
by Spana

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 40 queries.