Plug plant question

• 9 Replies

AnneB

Plug plant question
« on: April 28, 2020, 18:56 »
I have never bought plug plants before, but owing to late sowing because of a holiday plus a subsequent failure of germination I ordered a few plug chilli and sweet pepper plants to supplement the few that did germinate.

They were a week in the post due to current postal delays, but arrived in good condition apart from one aspect.  They looked healthy and moist,  but they seem to have carried on growing in transit and are bent over at the top.

I have potted them up in small pots as instructed.   Will the plants straighten up instead of growing bent over?

Growster...

Re: Plug plant question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 19:02 »
They should be fine, Anne!

We always buy plugs of geraniums and bizzie lizzies, and while they got a bit bashed, they recovered remarkably quickly!

Lucky you getting some!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:59 »
I am amazed that they were OK after a week in the post. Who did you buy them from? Had they packed them differently knowing the problems at the moment?

I bought some PSB plug plants from T&M and they arrived dead after a similar time in the post. The small amount of soil in the mini plugs had completely dried out. I want to buy some more but unless they pack them differently I cannot see them arriving in anything but the same condition  :(

Your plug plants should recover completely.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:35 »
In my opinion, TM plug plants are a waste of time and money. I've had good success with Jersey plants that are far better packed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 15:26 »
I am amazed that they were OK after a week in the post. Who did you buy them from? Had they packed them differently knowing the problems at the moment?

I bought some PSB plug plants from T&M and they arrived dead after a similar time in the post. The small amount of soil in the mini plugs had completely dried out. I want to buy some more but unless they pack them differently I cannot see them arriving in anything but the same condition  :(

Your plug plants should recover completely.
I bought them from Simpson's Seeds.   I used them as my late father ordered plug tomato plants from them when seed sowing became a bit much and he always said they were good.  I was lucky to get an order in before they sold out.
I have used them for seeds in the past, they have a very good range of tomato and pepper seeds.  I used to order garlic from them until they stopped doing it.  I think they were packed in their standard packaging, which is the root ball in a netting type arrangement and each plant laid out in its own little section in the small plastic package.
The roots were still moist when I unpacked them, but the stems were quite wonky and bent over, some at right angles.
Anyway, the smallest chilli is now pointing in the right direction.  I reckon the bigger ones will follow suit.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 15:37 »
as you will read from my topic posted April 19th chatting on the plot [could have cried] we buy in quite a few plug plants each year and the company we buy from really do pack the pugs very well

and we have only had one bad tray from them the other year and they offered a refund but i agreed they credited the loss on our next purchase that happened i was annoyed at the time about how they where delivered but due to the present  climate i bit the bullet and  my wife managed to get them back no probs

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 15:45 »
as you will read from my topic posted April 19th chatting on the plot [could have cried] we buy in quite a few plug plants each year and the company we buy from really do pack the pugs very well

and we have only had one bad tray from them the other year and they offered a refund but i agreed they credited the loss on our next purchase that happened i was annoyed at the time about how they where delivered but due to the present  climate i bit the bullet and  my wife managed to get them back no probs
Who do you buy them from?

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 17:01 »
grubbypaws I am quite willing to forward you my supplier but just to let you know there is a minimum order for plugs and cutting raised of 6 trays for one of delivery anything under that there is a surcharge of £25.00 and six trays would cost you around £250 with vat

if your still interested let me know and i will message you all details RW

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 21:15 »
Thanks for replying RW but I only have a small space and just the 2 of us so you are right in thinking that your supplier is not the one for us!

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 08:46 »
I thought i would point that out to you Grubbypaws but if you change your mind don't hesitate to contact me  through the site and i will forward you the info we usually buy quite a few plugs because we buy for our hanging baskets family and friends and for our garden open days including the NGS for charity that will sadly not happen this year

xx
Plug plant disasters

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 09:40
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Leggy Plant Question

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 18:27
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
New Raspberry Plant question.

Started by Seanav on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 16:15
by Earthling850
xx
4 week old tomato plant question

Started by andyw on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 21:15
by savbo

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 49 queries.