Remedy for leggy squash seedlings

• 6 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Remedy for leggy squash seedlings
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:08 »
Morning fellow veg-o-nauts. I sowed some squash seeds on 20th April and the majority have germinated. (result). The problem is that they're starting to look leggy and I don't know what to do so that they're in good condition for planting out later in May. They were started off in an unheated propagator on a south/south-west facing upstairs windowsill. I have nowhere else to put them indoors, other than on the floor in an upstairs east-facing bathroom. The level of the potting compost is quite low in the pots, so I could top the level up, if that would be of any benefit, but really don't want to start again as the seeds were quite expensive and don't want to ditch the little blighters.
seedlings.JPG

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Remedy for leggy squash seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:20 »
It's sufficient light they're lacking - swap them over with whatever's in the propagator, and use DD's aluminium foil trick behind them to reflect light back onto them (eventually onto all the plants you are raising, getting them all as near the window as you can.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:34 »
Thanks JayG. When I move them back into the propagator, should I leave the lid off, or keep it on and the vent open? Plus, is there any use in topping up the seed compost in the pots to give them a bit more stability?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:01 »
Can't make out whether the seeds in the propagator have germinated yet - if they haven't, just swap places so the pots are nearest the window (they don't need light until they have germinated.)

If they have germinated, get rid of the propagator and get them all as close to the window as you can, with aluminium foil behind them (shiny side facing the window.)

Won't hurt to top up the soil in the pots.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07 »
Ok, JayG, Gotcha. There are two squash seeds in the propagator which haven't germinated yet, so I'll give those a bit longer and move the seedlings forward as you suggest. Thanks so much. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 19:26 »
Or can you move them in front of the propagator, rather than in it?

They need the light more than the PPG does.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 10:27 »
Hi Yorkie - thanks and yes, I've moved the seedlings to the front of the window sill and backed them with a silver foil board. The two remaining squash seeds are still in the propagator - no sign of those germinating as yet.

xx
leggy seedlings

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 18:41
by casper
xx
leggy seedlings

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 19:29
by sunshineband
xx
Leggy Seedlings?!

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 13:15
by Cheshire Phill
xx
Leggy Seedlings

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 22:24
by DD.

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 46 queries.