my wife is quite mad she pecks chickens

• 9 Replies

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
my wife is quite mad she pecks chickens
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:47 »
ok its not quite as bad as it sounds but she has developed this method of stopping fighting and pecking at feeding time if a chicken pecks another chicken or stops 1 from eating she pecks the offender of the head with her finger nail they make a surprised look and run away  lol it does not hurt them but sure they don't expect this!!! it seems to work everyone's playing nicely lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 21:51 by storme37 »
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: my wife is quite mad she pecks chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 22:28 »
I started to do this as two of my chicks were fighting so much and constantly drawing blood, it works for now.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 00:47 »
Your wife's not mad at all!  I've done this to my chickens - the latest time was just yesterday.   :)

One of my chickens (a Light Sussex named Sylvia) has always been very bold, but never liked being handled by me.  I can stroke most of the other pullets, but not her.  She just side-steps my hand.  She is the top of the pecking order in the flock, apart from me.  I'm definitely her boss!  :closedeyes:

Yesterday Sylvia started crouching for the first time (hooray!  She will be laying soon!) so I took the opportunity to stroke her back.  She didn't try to run away.  But later I reached out to pat her again and instead of side-stepping my hand she pecked me - very deliberately and very hard!  :dry:

Well I'm definitely the Chief Chook and Sylvia needs to remember that.  So I pecked her back!  I don't have long nails, but I just used my fingertip to bop her on the forehead.  She didn't back down, just squared up to me.  So I squared up to her, kept my finger pointing at her right between the eyes, and drew myself up taller (I had been crouched down).  She shook her head, turned away and went back to foraging.

Excellent result!  I won that round of the challenge.  Sylvia had better not mess with the Chief Chook!

I'm all in favour of studying chicken body-language so you know what's going on.  From careful observation I know that the first chicken to shake or dip her head and look away is the loser in the game.  Hopefully Sylvia will think twice before pecking me again.

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49 »
like it good result lol

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 14:34 »
Well......you live and learn!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21 »
Have used this method and advised others to try it when they are scared of their hens.  You definitely need to be top of the pecking order as Lindeggs has said.

Had to do similar with our cat when she was young and agressive, no not pecking!  Got down on all fours and hissed at her.  It works a treat.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 22:41 »
...Got down on all fours and hissed at her...

:lol: I was worried about my neighbours seeing me "pecking" a chicken but that scene would have been priceless!

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 14:45 »
It really impressed our RSPCA Inspector when she came to check that we were looking after her.  I told her that if she had come a couple of weeks earlier she could have taken her back.  She was sitting on the stairs waiting for our two daughters to go up so she could attack their legs.  It seemed the obvious solution to me, maybe I was an animal in a former life.  :lol:  The Inspector said that it was a great idea and that she would remember to pass the method on to anyone else with an aggressive cat.  She didn't bother coming for any more visits, probably scared we wanted them to take her back.  :unsure:

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 14:00 »
Tried this yesterday, poppy was being mean to anastacia.
Did not go quite as well as I hoped, she was well up for a fight.....

In the end I just picked her up
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:51 by Dominic »
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 19:58 »
Tried this yesterday, poppy was being mean to anastacia.
Did go quite as well as I hoped, she was well up for a fight.....

In the end I just picked her up

You're obviously not the top of the pecking order Dominic.   :lol:

xx
What chickens are these???

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 06:47
by sneezer
xx
Do you eat your chickens?

Started by khelashi on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 00:19
by khelashi
xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:24
by Springlands

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.