growing seeds in a polytunnel - help !

• 2 Replies

plinston27

growing seeds in a polytunnel - help !
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:27 »
hi, i'm very new to all of this and have recently put up my first ever polytunnel, my question is this, can i put newly potted seeds in the polytunnel to germinate and grow as i have no decent area at home to store the trays once potted.
i am able to get to the plot every day to check on water levels and temp. i was hoping to get some seeds planted this weekend and was after some advice.
thanks andy

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: growing seeds in a polytunnel - help !
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45 »
It depends on what seeeds and the temperature in you tunnel, at night in particular

Tomatoes no, broad beans, yes

But tbh it is really still very early for sowing much, so I would give it around another month

Later sown seeds tend to grow into stronger plants as they don't face weaakening conditions as they fight to grow. They catch up and crop at around the same time for most things.

Indoors in the warm though, you could sow chillis, as they need a long growing season to produce a decent crop, so it is worth the effort of providing heat and that all important light too!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SkyeEnt

Re: growing seeds in a polytunnel - help !
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 23:42 »
You can make a warmer area by having a coldframe within the polytunnel.  I have used a minigreenhouse inside the tunnel, and an old glass fronted fridge with reasonable success.   You have to remember to give them ventilation on sunny days though :ohmy:

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 38 queries.