moving Rhubarb

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

moving Rhubarb
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:55 »
  we are going to replace our old fruit bushes and set up another site with new stock but there is a patch of Rhubarb that we need to move to clear the from the old site

Q. can we move the Rhubarb this time of the year to another site without killing it?

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
Re: moving Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:37 »
  we are going to replace our old fruit bushes and set up another site with new stock but there is a patch of Rhubarb that we need to move to clear the from the old site

Q. can we move the Rhubarb this time of the year to another site without killing it?
I'm no expert but I have moved Rhubarb several times on my plot and have not really worried about killing it. I find as long as you get a good root it will grow anywhere, it may be slow to start and sometimes not pop up until the next season, but it always comes back.

Nobbie

Re: moving Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:45 »
Yes, if it is an established patch the roots will be big enough to absorb the shock of moving. Prepare the new hole well by breaking up the soil so that you don't leave any air gaps around it when you plant. I'd remove all the mature leaves and water it in well to get the soil well settled around the root. It'll probably just sit there doing nothing until next year if the weather is warm.

xx
Moving rhubarb

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 16:25
by dazza
xx
moving rhubarb

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 12:53
by DD.
xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2007, 18:00
by splodger
xx
moving rhubarb

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 07:53
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 35 queries.