Tomato pollination in polytunnel

• 5 Replies

flyguy

Tomato pollination in polytunnel
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:54 »
Hi there,
first year with a poly tunnel, main reason was to hopefully get a blight free tomato crop, fingers crossed. I'm wondering if I should worry about pollination, well I am, being the worrying sort....I'm aware Tom's are self pollinating, outside a poly tunnel/greenhouse I've read a stiff breeze is sufficient to blow pollen from anther to stigma. But inside? I'd planned on everything being open to the environment by now  but the UK's current resident low pressure system has prevented that.

Does anyone do anything in particular about this?

Thanks in advance

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato pollination in polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39 »
Tomato flowers are usually wind or bee pollinated - assuming you have neither in your polytunnel, tapping the plants (or the canes they're tied to) as you walk past can help distribute the pollen inside the flowers and thereby ensure pollination.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

flyguy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 21:06 »
Thanks JayG, new one on me thanks for the tip.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:07 »
It's an old tip so I can only take credit for passing it on rather than inventing it!  ;)

I guess the idea is to simulate the action of wind which shakes the flowers about and enables self-pollination - best time indoors is in the middle of the day when the pollen should be drier and therefore more mobile, but anytime is better than not at all.

Plot94

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:23 »
I can't say I have ever had a problem with pollination in the polytunnel. Unless yours is extremely well sealed I'm sure you will get insects inside to do their thing and ensure a good supply of toms.

flyguy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:41 »
Just to update you on this. Tomatoe harvest was very good in the polytunnel this year. My pollination worries were unfounded. I found controlling the temperature and humidity a bit of a challenge at times but nothing that a visit a couple of times a week didn't sort out. Sad to blight finishing off the pants outdoors this time of year, but that was the reason for trying this in the first place. I'm still happily harvesting as many fruit as i can use....

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 45 queries.