Growing big garlic

• 6 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Growing big garlic
« on: June 18, 2019, 23:27 »
 What's the secret? Mine never come up bigger than a slightly smaller golfball. Planted late last autumn in fertile soil.

snow white

Re: Growing big garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:01 »
Curious as to the answer myself.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 08:36 »
Me too - golfball size sounds very familiar :-)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36 »
Make sure soil is in good heart and also feed soil with chicken manure pellets before planting
Plant in early Autumn
Plant with three inches of soil above the bulb
Feed with light sprinkle of seaweed meal twice before early December. Keep well watered if dry weather, and weeded... they do not like sharing their bed with anything else
Once the ground is not frozen solid (here that usually means end of February, continue with seaweed meal every six weeks, and if leaves look yellowish, water in some Epsom salts (which also helps the plants survive rust attacks)
Keep watering and feeding and weeding  right until the leaves go straw-like and the stem starts to dry
Dig carefully, so as not to spear the bulbs

And that seems to work for me . Still some bulbs are smallish but most are a decent size by the end of June/early July

Oh, also,cut off any rusty leaves as they are doing nothing for the plant, even if it nearly all of them,and it will grow more leaves to photosynthesise with. It doesn't affect the eating or keeping qualities of the bulbs

Hardneck varieties grow scapes (flowering stalks) so cut these off, so the plant put energy inot bulb making. You can eat these...they make good pesto
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04 »
There are varieties that naturally grow larger.  I hate peeling fiddly little garlic cloves, so have searched around myself for these types.

My favourites are Provence Wight, which is pretty widely available and is a soft neck type, plus Rocambole, which needs a bit more searching out and is a hard neck.  Both give you fewer cloves, but really good sized ones.  Rocambole is noticeably larger than the Provence Wight and you get 4-6 massive cloves per head. It is really garlicky as well and produces large edible garlic scapes as a bonus.  I've just picked these - piccy here.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=129358.msg1516589#msg1516589

The Rocambole usually comes as first year cloves, which you have to grow on to make the big cloves for eating.  Then you can save part of your own crop to replant, so you get harvest sized heads of garlic every year thereafter.  It is a bit of a labour of love, but there is a good pay off to spur you on :)

One of my plot neighbours got part of my seed crop last autumn and planted it up.  He's pretty thrilled by the size of cloves he is growing and calls it his rock and roll garlic  :lol:

Sorry - edit as I don't think I made the growing sequence for Rocambole clear - seed to first year clove, then 2nd year these grow on to large cloves.  2nd year cloves that are replanted make more 2nd year type large style cloves, so the grow and wait bit is only at the start  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:26 by New shoot »

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:16 »
Another plot holder on my site told me the biggest garlic he had were left in the ground from the following year. I was going to sow cloves from my crop this year now but it looks as though they have white rot. The bulbs look as though they are drying well though  and have a good root system. I'm not going to risk using these so as soon as I can get some good cloves I will plant asap.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 21:48 »
Thanks all, some things to think about there in terms of feeding and choice of variety.

Interesting how much feed they are getting at planting, and before December, in sunshineband's post; I've not been giving them any extra feeding then, thinking that the main thing was just to get them growing then so that the roots got a period of cold over winter. It's very rare that the ground is frozen solid here, so I could feed them right through most Winters.  I normally just feed them in March.

Harvested some of mine today, the leaves have gone yellow and have quite a lot of rust this year, and as ever they are slightly smaller than a golf-ball...

G&R

xx
Growing Garlic

Started by jenjen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 14:42
by Jay The Digger
xx
Garlic Growing

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 18:06
by gobs
xx
Growing Garlic

Started by Folger on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 10:11
by Kristen
xx
growing garlic

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 16:49
by Annie

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 36 queries.