Cockerals

• 4 Replies

Sluggs

Cockerals
« on: February 06, 2010, 20:47 »
Hi,
can I ask do hens still cockadoo, two of my chickens, one thought to be a girl started, this one has just a lump on her head yet the other a full comb,  there the same breed, Silkies and same age.
Confused !!  :wacko:

too many girls

Re: Cockerals
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 22:40 »
my silkie cockerals have bumps on their heads and the girls have never cock-a-doodle-doo'd :(

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 22:55 »
silkie girlies have a SMALL, almost non existant walnut comb, boys have much bigger uglier ones, that really do look like wrinkled walnuts.

Although it is very, very, rare, hens CAN crow, I had a brown hybrid who laid every day, AND crowed, and someone on here also said they once had a crowing hen.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

nicnac

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 20:20 »
Talking about hens cocka - doodle doing,I have the same sort of thing.  I was out in the garden on saturday and Annabell (Well I thought she was an Annabell, maybe she's an Andrew!) cocka - doodle doed 3 times!!  I was rather shocked!!  I havent heard it since.  She has always squared up to the other 2 and fluffed up neck feathers at them so I may I have a cockerel?? She/he is the smallest but is definately in charge! Any thoughts??!! ???
a partner, 1 daughter, 1 dog(Harry, but is a girl!), 1 hamster(pilchard), 2 bunnies(Ben & Jerry), 3 fish(Nemo,Beauty & Beast) & 3 chickens(Captain Jack, even though she's a girl!, Buffy & Annabell)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:42 »
Hi there

How old are they?  We didn't work out our cocks from our hens until they were about 6 months old.

But he/she does sound like she's showing manly behaviour!

Although on the flip side, my friend who keeps chickens had a 18 month old Orpington that decided to stop laying and start crowing for 6 months last year.  She's now reverted back to more lady like tendancies and started laying again.  Weird or what!

xx
Have I got cockerals?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 14:08
by stan deakin
xx
on no ! cockerals

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 12:21
by lisa80
xx
Cockerals

Started by karenn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 18:50
by themagicaltoad1
xx
cockerals

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 17:26
by oddpaws

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 33 queries.