on no ! cockerals

• 6 Replies

lisa80

on no ! cockerals
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:09 »
im so gutted turns out both welsummers and yoko the warren cross we hatched are all boys! :(after previous experience with keeping a boy in our flock we decided it wasnt a good idea so now desperatly looking for homes for them or else will be the pot :(my daughter is gutted as i promised we would keep yoko but after what happened with the previous one attacking my little boy im afraid it wont be a good idea.we didnt name the welsummers just in case but we are all really fond of yoko.hubby caught him mounting our silkie x yesterday and im worried he may harm some of the smaller ones,he is huge even compared to my other lge fowl.i have seen and advert locally from some one who rehomes cockerals so that may be the way for yoko :(

dizzylizzie

Re: on no ! cockerals
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18 »
i have a very large cokerel living quite happily alongside my kids. Try again, it will probably be fine ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:24 »
if you handle him regularly he hopefully should be fine, I have 3 cockerels and all of them are not aggressive like Lizzies isn't nasty either. I think Foxy (who has far more experience than me) said hers aren't either. I would give him a chance if you don't have complaining neighbours  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:44 »
joys is right, you need to handle him, and dont be a challenge to him, if he thinks you are trying to lure his girlies away from him he wont be happy. i always offer food to him first, if i have to bring one of his wives in i let him come aswel, and always give him a treat ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:55 »
this is the trouble with having hatching eggs - the probability of getting more cockerels if not all cockerels can be high. I have been fortunate in that after hatching two batches of eggs last year I managed to rehome my boys. This year if they don't find homes I will home them in my freezer and oven.

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:16 »
i think your right i did handle yoko regularly. we have started calling him the magpie recently as he pecks anything that shines  :)namely my engagement ring and hubbys wedding ring.im not too worried about the welsummers its just that there is no chance really of re homing yoko because hes a cross :(am going to give him a chance im just worried about him harming my new hampshire banthams when he mounts them :)noise not a problem as they are down the allotment and everyone else has cockerals, thanks for your replys :)

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21 »
to add your right about hatching in future will only do pure breeds there is more chance of rehoming them i think :)not planning to hatch more anyway am trying to convince hubby not to get a new incubator :)hes caught the bug i think!

xx
cockerals

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 10:54
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Have I got cockerals?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 14:08
by stan deakin
xx
Cockerals

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 08:42
by Fifitrix
xx
Cockerals

Started by karenn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 18:50
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.