Cardboard weed supressant

• 9 Replies

luckypurplebutterfly

Cardboard weed supressant
« on: May 30, 2012, 13:31 »
I'm going to plant out the first of my summer and winter squashes this weekend. I've read that planting them through a hole in flattened cardboard boxes should help to keep the weeds back - the cardboard acting as a temporary weedproof membrane which can just be dug in at the end of the season.

Has anyone else tried this? Was is successful? How many layers of cardboard would I need?

thanks

Kleftiwallah

Re: Cardboard weed supressant
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 13:34 »
A very good idea.  As cardboard packaging is normally two sheets and a corrugated bit in the middle, one thickness should be enough.  Better think about holding the cardboard down with a brick or two in case the wind gets under and carries your squash plants into the next plot. ::)

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 13:45 »
I also use dampened newspaper for this purpose.  I usually put down manure, add wet newspaper on top, wet thoroughly again for good measure then top with HM compost.  I then use to plant cabbages, sprouts, broccoli, squashes through the paper.  This stops the weeds and is especially useful with the brassicas as they are usually covered up straight after planting to protect against cabbage root fly.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31 »
Hi, I've saved cardboard for this purpose but then was wondering if this doesn't provide an ideal home for slugs? Does anyone have any knowledge on this?  Thanks

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05 »
I use the full thickness newspaper method with the cardboard on top. Cardboard is fine stuff for mulching and temporary paths and I use it all the time.  It rots down on its own but not the sticky tape on it which seemingly never rots down

I don't think cardboard encourages slugs particularly and I've never had a problem. You could put some slug pellets under there if you were worried

Pumpkins and squashes can be grown on rough ground though and their huge leaves should help to keep the weeds down

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59 »
I thought squashes had to be planted on a mound so water didn't collect around the stem?

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:49 »
They don't have to be. They can if you wish but there is no law against planting them on the flat  :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 13:25 »
For squashes, it depends more on your soil. If you have clay, you're better off with mounds since clay doesn't drain too well.

As for cardboard, I do 2-3 layers which guarantees very little comes up from below. Once wet, it sticks to the soil quite tightly so no room for slugs and things to hide under.

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 17:04 »
Do you not find squashes grow so thickly with their large leaves that weeds don't get a look in anyway?. I grow mine on a deep heap of compost and rotted manure and let them do their own thing.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 17:22 »
I've used leaf mulch as a weed suppressant and moisture barrier on my squashes - does a nice job. The squash leaves can act as a good weed suppressant, but once the squash jungle has got going irritating tall weeds seem to thrive in the most inaccessible places.  :D
My rule of thumb is mounds for Winter Squash, dishes for Summer Squash.

xx
Weed Supressant Fabric on freshly manured soil?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 11:21
by Ema
xx
Growing squashes / pumpkins in hole in plastic / weed supressant?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 12:03
by HLS
xx
fresh manure, cardboard and weed control

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 18:37
by Totty
xx
Cardboard

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 38 queries.