Tomatoes

• 2 Replies

colinc

Tomatoes
« on: July 08, 2011, 20:55 »
I have grown tomatoes this year in my green house for the first time they have done really well lots of fruit on them; they are rather on the large size and have taken over the green house. Can anyone recommend a variety of tomato that is more compact in size, not sure what type I have grown this year?

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 21:32 »
There are bush varieties like Hundreds and Thousands which can be grown in a pot/tub. They grow bigger than I thought they would - about 2ft so far, and that's outside. No sideshooting or pinching out required. I'm currently growing Costuluto Fiorentino in the Greenhouse and it's not as tall or stretching as my Tomato Berry. With most cordon varieties you can eventually pinch out the very top to stop them growing further and allow the fruit to develop. I'm sure the more experienced members can suggest other cordon varieties to you. x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 21:42 »
I have grown tomatoes this year in my green house for the first time they have done really well lots of fruit on them; they are rather on the large size and have taken over the green house.

How tall have yours got and how many are you growing in a what size greenhouse? are they bush (multi stemmed or cordons?  Sorry for all the questions :D  BUT............
If you plant to close together they will literally reach for the sky. Bush toms grow bushy and can get quite large width ways.
If they are up to the eaves and have 4 trusses on by then, they are normal, and shouldn't have 'taken over'....so you see we need some more info, I think :)

xx
tomatoes.

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 09:38
by mumofstig
xx
Dry set on Tomatoes

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:04
by azubah
xx
tomatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 08:11
by spuriousmonkey
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2016, 13:40
by Goneterseed

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 40 queries.