How to secure crop covers eg Environmesh

• 20 Replies

snowdrops

Re: How to secure crop covers eg Environmesh
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 15:23 »
I've got the tri pegs & they do make holes. I have buried the edges & find that tedious plus weeds tend to grow through the mesh. I am going to use the milk bottles & water method this year if I don't get round to adapting the edges of the mesh with large button holes as the debris netting has,which I then used plastic tent pegs through or Weed membrane pegs

A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 21:17 »
I don't make holes in mine! Well, not deliberately anyway. I did get a few holes from having a bonfire on a breezy day  :blush:

I weigh mine down with planks, bricks and water filled bottles

m1ckz

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:58 »
i found some old wire coat hangers an made some hooks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 05:00 »
You still have to force those though the mesh, though, as it's much finer than a coat hanger. The weighing down/digging in methods don't damage the mesh.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 13:08 »
I use the plastic pegs sold by Wilkinsons and others in their gardening departments - they have a right-angled "hook" at the top which means you can peg the edge of the enviromesh down without puncturing it.

Quite easy to loosen the edges when you need access by slightly lifting the pegs (don't pull them right out, especially if you have hard soil because they're not very strong.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 17:05 »
I roll the enviromesh edge in a metal tube and clip the material to it by using plastic pipe clamps that plumbers use. Stretch the material over a frame and repeat on the other side and ends, tuck the corners like a hospital bed and its job done. The tubes were old metal electric conduit and the clips were £2.99 for a bag of thirty. The weight of the conduit holds the fabric down in windy conditions and is easy to lift when I need to water / weed / harvest.
I did try the same method using bamboo canes and bricks as the weights, however the wind didn't think much of that and I ended up pegging the bamboo down, not always successfully. At the end of the season simply unclip, clean the enviomesh and store until required. :blink:
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Environmesh alternative

Started by pippin on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 09:11
by DD.
xx
Fibrefleece vs Environmesh

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 12:47
by DD.
xx
carrots, fleece, environmesh etc

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 18:12
by gobs
xx
covers/netting etc

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 07:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 39 queries.