asparagus?

• 11 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
asparagus?
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:47 »
hi all,bit of advice needed for the novice asparagus grower.my plants seem to be still growing strong ,but what ive read up on it says i should be cutting them back in november when the fronds turn brown.well there still very green!.should i just cut them down now anyway or leave them to it? :unsure: oh and merry Christmas to everyone one this site. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03 »
My asparagus patch is a dogs dinner of different varieties of different ages, and although most of them died off and were cut down weeks ago a couple are still quite green like yours.

Seems to make sense to leave them until they do die down before giving them the chop as they are presumably still putting something back into the all-important crowns.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 13:08 »
The only problem I can see with leaving them to die back at this time of year, is the damage that could be caused by strong winds to the tuber.
Paul

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 17:08 »
Strong winds will only snap the stalk off at the soil level. Asparagus have been around for millenia and are adapted to troublesome weather so don't worry about them.

As long as the weather is good (to the asparagus mind), it will continue to grow and feed. Gardeners do far too much fussing and tidying that hampers plant growth, so just let them be. I always leave mine until early spring when I cut back old stalks and feed them.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 22:42 »
Strong winds will only snap the stalk off at the soil level. Asparagus have been around for millenia and are adapted to troublesome weather so don't worry about them.

As long as the weather is good (to the asparagus mind), it will continue to grow and feed. Gardeners do far too much fussing and tidying that hampers plant growth, so just let them be. I always leave mine until early spring when I cut back old stalks and feed them.
to what height do i cut them back too trillium ?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 22:47 »
You can cut them to about 2" above the soil..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47 »
Actually, in spring the old shoots are dead so I just carefully twist them off from the base and out they come. Any stubborn ones are cut about an inch or two above the soil.

Just don't leave it too late or you might trim new foliage. That won't kill the plant but it can set it back a bit.

NellyCB

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 21:50 »
Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, but I didn't want to start a very similarly themed thread elsewhere.

I am hoping to start an asparagus bed this time and was wondering what variety would be the most suitable for a first time asparagus grower with little growing experience on the whole.....I'm in the North West of UK too if that makes a difference.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 22:03 »

Hear, hear!

Leave them well alone, Brassica.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 22:05 »
Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, but I didn't want to start a very similarly themed thread elsewhere.

I am hoping to start an asparagus bed this time and was wondering what variety would be the most suitable for a first time asparagus grower with little growing experience on the whole.....I'm in the North West of UK too if that makes a difference.

Jersey types are doing very well up here.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:07 »

What do you feed yours with Trillium?

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 19:02 »
I throw on anything I have - compost, rotted chicken manure, some lime as asparagus likes it a bit sweeter, bit of BFB meal; often I add everything and let the roots take what they need. I find early spring the best time, before new shoots start and after I've cleared off old growth.

Key thing is to keep them weeded so every time I pass the asparagus patch I stop and pull out some weeds, which is easier to do after a rain.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2012, 11:06
by DD.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 39 queries.