Azada any good for a short person!!!??

• 11 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Azada any good for a short person!!!??
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:53 »
Good Morning!  We got our allotment last year (I share with two friends).  I find digging, forking over very difficult as spades/forks are nearly as tall as I am! Sort of!  So I was wondering if it was worth investing in an azada?  It looks like I could shorten the handle if needed and the swinging action needed to use it would be better for me?  Any advice appreciated.  Cheers!

grendel

Re: Azada any good for a short person!!!??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 15:49 »
go for it, but be careful how much you take off the handle - give it a try first, then slowly shorten by a few inches trying in between until it is more comfortable. the longer the handle the better leverage, make sure you keep the edge sharp as it works better that way and watch your feet (I wear steel toed boots).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 17:38 »
go for it, but be careful how much you take off the handle - give it a try first, then slowly shorten by a few inches trying in between until it is more comfortable. the longer the handle the better leverage, make sure you keep the edge sharp as it works better that way and watch your feet (I wear steel toed boots).
Grendel
Thanks Grendel.  That is just what I wanted to hear! I was hoping that using an azada WOULD give me more leverage that I just can't seem to get using a spade/fork.  Thanks for the tip about watching my toes!

noshed

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 17:40 »
I would recommend getting a medium rather than large - they are quite heavy
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

sootyfaestoney

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 18:48 »
I too have not long started with my plot, this will be my second season, and I got an azada and I worked it off my knees as well as upright. if you are wee it would be good to get smaller blade as it can be hard going. but I found it was better for breaking out ground than digging it, I found that it was better to dig a trench across the plot to be dug and then chip away at the exposed end it is easiest way.
As advised dont be cutting the shaft until you try it out for a while as it is a different action to a normal fork or spade dig.
cheers

jmc1949

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 19:38 »
I bought and azada a couple of months ago and find it easy to use. It is quite heavy but I have no difficulty swinging it. It's cut through my heavy clay soil with ease. I'm only 4ft 11inches (no idea what that is in cm) and I haven't shortened the shaft.

willp

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 17:21 »
I use an azada with an extra long handle ( I`m 6'2") and use it for most of my digging and trenching. Brilliant!

You may well be OK with a regular handle as others have said.

Give some thought to a Cantebury Fork too ( like an azada but with a 3 pronged fork) great for forking out weeds, and especially effective for dragging out couch roots.

Will

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 20:38 »
Just see Monty Don planting his herb bed on last week's GW - was that a hand held Azada he was using? and anyone got any good recommendations where to get one from? I'm interested in a normal size one as well.

lulu
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

jmc1949

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 21:56 »
Yes, it was. I got mine from Am.zon.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 22:05 »
will have a look & see
Lulu

rippolaris

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 21:19 »
I'll agree that the Canterbury fork and azada are great tools, and it makes a welcome change for your body using them rather than a normal fork or spade. We've found the fork especially useful for lifting turf and monster weeds out. I went a bit mad and got the Chilllington Canterbury fork, ridging hoe (pointy one) and trenching hoe (big flat one). No affiliation by the way, just a satisfied customer.

The ridging hoe is the least used of them, and the trenching hoe is a bit of a beast to swing sometimes. Brutal but effective though! If I could go back I'd probably just get the fork and a lighter flat hoe.
I'm afraid I can't comment on whether it'd be good for a shorter person, but like the others say I'm sure you could chop bits off the handle if it's not comfortable for you.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:41 »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies - I didn't get any notifications about your replies after Grendel's.  Anyway,  I ordered my azada - went for the light medium one from get digging.  Blinking marvellous!  Love it!  Turned me into a human digging machine.  I cleared a 3m x 3m area in no time at all when before I would have given up and gone home as I just can't seem to get on with a spade/fork.   Haven't taken anything off the handle yet as I'm not sure if I need to.  Great for hoeing, drawing trenches and generally turning soil to make me look efficient and like I know what I'm doing!  Lulu - if you haven't purchased an azada yet I do recommend the getdigging website.  They have lots of great stuff (including hand held azada's) and the delivery service was good.Cheers all!   

xx
azada

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 16:39
by Lynne
xx
Azada

Started by Aunt Sally on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 12:05
by dawninspain
xx
Just used my Azada

Started by SkipRat on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 11:03
by Lynne
xx
Azada's Awesome

Started by BlackBeard on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 14:52
by Browser

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 39 queries.