What do I fill a wooden planter with?

• 9 Replies

Brad26

What do I fill a wooden planter with?
« on: February 06, 2021, 15:57 »
Hi Everyone,

I've made a rather large wooden planter 3m long, 0.9m wide and 0.5m deep. I'm no gardening expert and just intend to put some bedding plants or similar into it. I'm just wondering what to fill it with though, I was thinking a bit of hardcore at the bottom to take up some space and for the earth a mix of top soil and compost with some bark chippings to finish off on top but to be honest i'm not really too sure and was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction please. 

Many Thanks

Brad
planter.jpg

rowlandwells

Re: What do I fill a wooden planter with?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 16:47 »
Hi Brad I have  made several wooden planters for bedding but before i made them  i bought a plastic troughs then  made the wooden  trough to fit the plastic planter  because I found the wooden planter lasted longer using the plastic trough

I have also made and painted my wooden planters then lined them with a thick black plastic sheeting  but the plastic trough idea worked better for me hope this helps RW

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 17:23 »
You could throw your kitchen waste in the bottom  before covering with compost.  Watch out with bark chippings, they can steal nutrients until well rotted.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 14:44 »
It really depends on what flowers you like and whether you want annuals or perennials. As you have it in front of a fence I'd attach some clematis netting and sow some sweet peas at the back somewhere (in the middle) as the depth should just about be ok for them to do well. After that you could have something like types of daisies, salvias, begonias etc, then plant some trailing petunias, fuchsias and lobelia. As said, you could line the bottom and sides with plastic like used compost bags but make a few drainage holes in the bottom liner. The trough will need watering regularly and a good feed because there will be a lot of plants competing for them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Brad26

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:29 »
Thanks for the input everybody. Yes I have already lined it with some thick black plastic around the sides. I didn’t make a bottom to the box as it was going over a bit of a dirt patch anyway. It was more the mix ratio of compost and top soil I was looking to find out about.

Thanks

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20 »
Hi Brad,

That looks like a good job. The fact that the bottom is open means you should have good drainage, but I would do as you have suggested and add a good deep covering of clean hardcore/gravel to ensure that water being held in the planter to excess. A good foot (30cm) of growing medium would be enough for most garden plants. Topsoil with added sharp sand mixed with a good multi-purpose compost would be my mix and will get you off to a good start. At least 60% topsoil with 20% sharp sand and 20% compost should see you right.

You can use sharp sand (not building sand, which is too fine) from a builders merchant, it comes from the same hole in the ground that horticultural sand does, but is a fraction of the price. There is no salt in it as is sometimes mistakenly suggested.

I hope this helps,
Ralph.
I need more space...

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 15:16 »
I lined mine with pond liner, before back filling, adding compost for last few inches.
Mine has a tree in it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 20:53 »
NB. If you line with a solid liner like a pond liner, make sure to stab holes in it to allow for drainage!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grinling

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 15:29 »
Sorry should have said, my planter has no base as it was built around a twisted willow which was pollarded. The tree was on a raised area which I brought down to rest of garden, so roots exposed.
Tree looks lovely. Planter about 1.5m square and 75cm high.

Brad26

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 14:57 »
Sorry not looked at this in a while, thanks for the further suggestions. Didn't know about mixing sand in with it as well but will be sure to add some.

xx
Need to fill a hole.

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 11:18
by Roll Roll
xx
Fill a large container with topsoil/sand/manure

Started by green_fingered_ash on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 15:48
by green_fingered_ash
xx
A New Planter

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 10:02
by JayG
xx
Paint for a planter

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 08:11
by wighty

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.