Prevention of worms in fixed run

• 13 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Prevention of worms in fixed run
« on: January 25, 2012, 13:25 »
I read this on the Flytes of Fancy website with interest:

Prevention is better than cure
Some simple preventative measures can help save a great deal or worry and loss of birds.

If in a fixed Run then move it regularly to new ground, or if you are not able to move the run then consider a surface that can be cleaned with disinfectant (not concrete please, not a natural surface at all). Using a loose hardwood woodchip surface for example and then make a watering can mix of Virkon disinfectant, or
Bi-OO-Cyst Coccidial disinfectant, to regularly (fortnightly) water the ground is a good solution. When dry, follow up with Net-Tex Ground Sanitising Powder.

Has anyone tried the disinfectant / sanitising powder as a preventative measure? As part of normal worming routine obviously. Do you have to remove the birds first or is it safe to use whilst they're around?

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Prevention of worms in fixed run
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 13:35 »
I just go with worming, as all of that may help a little.  But i can see a chook just eating some wild brid muck, becoming infected then getting the others in the flock going...

Cant see how any of that would stop that happening...+ if your worming every three months you shouldnt have an issue any way.

I hate signatures but love irony

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 14:31 »
It sounds like a lot of extra expense and extra work when you can just treat regularly and be more confident that your hens will be free of worms.  As Lewjam says they will eat wild bird muck and be at risk or even eating earth worms can infect them. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 16:11 »
In addition to the worms that ANHBUC mentions, slugs and snails also carry parasitic worms.

If there is any spilled food, even bits of vegetable and the like, in the run, if you go out with a torch on a wet evening you will probably see them there in vast numbers. Some hens are very partial to slugs & snails so this is worth bearing in mind too!
Helen

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 13:42 »
Prevention is still better than cure. Over use of wormers is a great problem in the livestock world as the worms become immune to them. As far as i am aware there are only 2 wormers for chooks and if these become ineffective ........... . :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08 »
I've heard that the best time to worm is in spring and autumn. Does it matter which month in spring ie. March - May.

Or would you recommend more frequently?

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14 »
I tend to worm my hens 3 times year, I don't think it really matters when as long as it is done regularly. Inbetween I keep an eye on their droppings for signs of worms and worm again if I spot any.

Hope this helps

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 19:45 »
Verm-x is good as a pre-ventative worm measure, But to treat i would use flubenvet IMO
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:50 »
What's the best way of checking droppings for worms? Are they easy to spot?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:01 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 13:00 »
Unfortunately my browser won't let me see the pics - they are just blank white squares.

Would it be poss for anyone to email them to me if I PM them my email address?

Thanks  :D

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 20:21 »
Turning over soil also prevent worms as the hens do there droppings which may contain these turning over the soil prevents this being picked up by the flock!

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:13 »
If you are seeing worms in dropings then you have a big problem.

In a fixed run, you need to worm more frequently, use flubenvet every three months.  It is safe to use, and there is no egg withdrawal.

In a fixed run, your husbandry needs to be very good too; poo pick every day, and turn over, or replace the run flooring at regular intervals.

To prevent the ground from becoming "sick" you can use a dry disinfectant like Stalosan F :)

helens-hens

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:36 »
Re spotting worms in droppings, if a hen does have a worm burden then they can be seen in the caecal droppings (these are the smelly, slightly runnier ones). I don't know how long they live outside the hen but if you look at a very fresh dropping you can sometimes see them wriggling around. The ones I saw last year were very small (less than 1 cm and thread like) but they can be quite a bit bigger.

As Casey mentions, once you are seeing worms in the droppings then you can be fairly sure the hen is carrying a lot and you need to start worming straight away. Also, don't assume that they will be gone after the 7 days dosage (that is for Flubenvet). Keep an eye on the droppings and make sure no more are visible. When this happened to my hens last year I think I ended up dosing them for about 9 days.

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
fixed pens

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 08:37
by Oakdalebirds
xx
Fixed run management

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 13:02
by Jacinta
xx
Yay I fixed my chicken!

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:25
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 37 queries.