Lola Keeps escaping

• 2 Replies
Lola Keeps escaping
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:59 »

Hi everyone. I am new on the site and new to keeping chooks, although am really enjoying the experience.

We bought 4 Warrens about 10 days ago, 3 were 16wks and 1 was 20 wks. They are all lovely birds and making themselves at home. They have a section of the garden fenced off for them to roam in all day. (Approx 12 x 18 ft) We did have the gate and chicken wire at about 4ft high and ,although the chooks have had wings clipped, Lola (our most inquisitive chook) has managed to escape twice, so now the fence is 5ft high and the gate 6ft but was just wondering if there are any products on the market that will keep her entertained during the day, as she manged to escape again last night. Hubby went out to put them to bed and all the others were happily perched in the house but Lola was outside the run trying to figure out how to get back in!!! She is the most intelligent bird I have ever met and the friendliest of our chooks. I think she just needs to be kept occupied. If anyone has any suggestions I would be truely grateful. :nowink:

Casey76

Re: Lola Keeps escaping
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:20 »
Make sure there are no "launch pads" close to the fnece (tree stumps, tall waterers, the coop etc)

Do they have one or both wings clipped?  If bother are clipped then it won't slow them down much, I'm afraid, as they are still balanced.  Clippin one wing unbalances them which makes them less likely to be able to jump so high.

Apart from that, other things you can do is to bend the inside of the fence at an angle towards the pen by about 45° then not only tdo they have to get height, but distance too, and that can often foil them.

:)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Lola Keeps escaping
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 15:44 »
I have my run covered with Pond netting - this keeps them locked in

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

xx
She keeps escaping!!!!

Started by Little Devil on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 09:26
by Thrift
xx
Escaping chicken

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 20:14
by Jo57
xx
a little frustrated cheer me up please - escaping chucks

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 15:58
by ehs284

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.