Urgent help required

• 20 Replies

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: Urgent help required
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24 »
What beautiful birds!!  I suspect already that I shall want to increase the flock..... shall I re-word it to "6 laying hens" - that means I can collect more when the old ones retire!

Electric fence arrived this morning so we're all systems go - the instructions leave something to be desired but I'm sure OH & boys will work it out.

Just site clearance, then, in the dark tonight.  It was the kids' play area and had a huge climbing frame which we haven't managed to sell on yet.

Do we need to pull up all the plastic membrane which was under woodchip before the hens move in or are they bright enough to realise plastic sheeting (which is no longer a whole sheet due to assorted activities & weed growth) is inedible?
ManicMum

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40 »
Probably not,mine used to gobble polystyrene if any floated by,I really didn't think it was good for them but they didn't seem to agree,so I stopped using it as drainage in pots so they couldn't get to any.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49 »
There are two which meet your description.  Here are the chickens in my photos starting with the top one.

Photo 1 Speckled Sussex
Photo 2 Light Sussex - she's was a very old hen and died at the age of 10 in Feb last year not long after this photo was taken
Photo 3 Welsummer
Photo 4 Barnevelders in foreground Vorwerks in background
Photo 5 Buff Sussex on LHS & Barnevelder on RHS picking grit
Photo 7 Vorwerk in front of run

Buff Sussex are one of my favourute pure breeds and also good layers.  They are a heavy breed a proper looking chicken with flat backs and deep bodies.  If you like Orps you'll like BS they can be almost as beautifully feathered and being a native breed they are easy to keep and very good free rangers.  They have columbian markings (black hackles and tail)

Vorwerks also have light mahogany bodies with very black hackles and tails.  They are a germany chicken of lighter build and very elegant and slim with white ear lobes.

Here's a BS

Light & Buff Sussex with a leghorn? cockerel

and here's some VWs

2 VW and a legbar LB

HF

The Buff Sussex, never seen them like that before, its beautiful. i do like the Orpingtons but dont have any (yet  ::))

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 18:00 »
Sussex are often used in hybrid crosses because of their excellent laying traits, many hybrid breeders use the name Sussex in the description of the hybrids rather misleadingly.  I've even had beginners who were mislead into buying hybrids thinking they were pure breed Sussex.  A true pure breed is a big bird with magnificent feathering and a flat back and a deep thick set body whereas most hybrids which have Sussex in them are much smaller and slimmer birds though they may have similar marking patterns.  If you see the name Sussex Stars these aren't pure breeds.

Light Sussex a silver bird genetically are commonly available but Buff and Speckled are less easy to find.  Other colours less common are White (rare), Red, Brown, Coronation (v rare).  There are 1/4 size bantam versions of the commoner colours.

HF
Truth through science.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 16:32 »
Well, they're here - frantic activity yesterday as the previous owners dismantled & cleaned the coop in the morning, while we were clearing the space for it.

Bits of coop then boxed hens into Land Rover, drive home, reassemble coop just by dusk so the girls could go to bed.  Ran out of light & energy to get the electric fencing up but did that this morning before work.....

They seem to be settling in nicely and already eat corn from a hand.......  Yes they had their pellets first.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 16:36 »
don't forget to post photos, chickens are great aren't they  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
pics of mites required urgent please

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 17:23
by karlooben
xx
Urgent help required - one duckling dead, the other failing UPDATE NUMBER 2!

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 08:17
by Sassy
xx
New cock required

Started by martinscottage on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 19:16
by FCG
xx
help required for a vicious hen!!

Started by swift_half on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 20:50
by swift_half

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.