Winter Tips for Chooks....

• 115 Replies

Mavis

Re: Winter Tips for Chooks....
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2011, 21:48 »
Hello, just joined the site and just want to say how informative I am finding it.  I haven't much expertise on chickens as I only look after my daughters girlies two days a week and they are a delight.  I am going to make them a winter bathing area in the greenhouse so that they can have a dust bath.  What do you think I should use for this?
Mavis

SMS6

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12 »
I have raised beds of normal compost in my greenhouse and at the minute the girls have their run attached to the greenhouse for extra space and protection from the weather.  they seem content to bathe in the beds.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2012, 20:25 »
I use all the old earth from the tubs and hanging baskets where the annuals have now died. I dry it in the greenhouse, then it takes a fair bit of breaking up, but they seem to love it.

Abacus

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 20:42 »
hi has anyone used hot water bottles before?

i have these mini hot water bottles, about a third of a standard size one i guess, about 6 inches long 4 inches wide. i was wondering if i could put one of these in the coop to war1m the coop/stop the water freezing? i have a woolen cover for it that would stop them burning on it

thanks

I just use old pop bottles - seems to do the trick okay. Certainly placing a couple in the hen house causes a certain amount of shuffling to get a good warm position around the bottles.
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

dancingbillie

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 10:33 »
When I first had hens I used to have rats coming in to steal the hens feed.  Then I bought a rat proof Solway feeder.  It's brilliant.  I haven't seen a rat near Cluckingham Palace for about 18 months, not even in winter.  The hens learn very quickly how to use it and there are never any pellets left on the floor when it's their bed time:-)

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/products/solway-40kg-dumpy-barrel-self-feed-hopper-psf0027-c398.html

You can use them inside or outdoors,  Mine is indoors

The only time I ever see a mouse (and that isn't often!) is when one of the hens has found one, killed it and is eating it.

Valerie and the Fab Five & the 14 feathered ladies of Cluckingham Palace

My Motto: Live your life in such a way that in the morning,
when your feet hit the floor, Satan shudders and says...
"Oh dodo! She's awake!"

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10 »
When I first had hens I used to have rats coming in to steal the hens feed.  Then I bought a rat proof Solway feeder.  It's brilliant.  I haven't seen a rat near Cluckingham Palace for about 18 months, not even in winter.  The hens learn very quickly how to use it and there are never any pellets left on the floor when it's their bed time:-)

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/products/solway-40kg-dumpy-barrel-self-feed-hopper-psf0027-c398.html

You can use them inside or outdoors,  Mine is indoors

The only time I ever see a mouse (and that isn't often!) is when one of the hens has found one, killed it and is eating it.

Thanks for that link.  It holds 2 sacks of feed so would save on storage as well.  Just adding it to my wanted list.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27 »
I know we're not going to have problems with drinking water freezing over for a few months but I was in my local pet shop yesterday and found a product that stops bird bath water from freezing over, it states it's safe for drinking and effective to -4. The only problem is I can't remember what it's called!
Will update when I next visit.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 15:18 »
I know we're not going to have problems with drinking water freezing over for a few months but I was in my local pet shop yesterday and found a product that stops bird bath water from freezing over, it states it's safe for drinking and effective to -4. The only problem is I can't remember what it's called!
Will update when I next visit.

It probably has glycerin in it but have a read of this first as it is mentioned.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=48390

jhub

• jane
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2012, 00:45 »
Thanks ANHBUC, I'll check when I'm next there.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 22:24 »
looks like we will be skipping summer this year and just having the 3 seasons instead.
part of the run that isnt covered over turned into a mud bath and the bark we put down just made it worse and i am sure i read it wasnt recommended for chickens so i went to the local saddlery and got a bag of Easibed  (like woodchip) and laid this down and it worked a treat. It was £6 for a huge bag and i still have half a bag left.

Just thought i would pass it on incase anyone else was finding bark just as bad as mud!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2012, 21:13 »
I have read on another site that putting apple cider vinegar in your drinkers helps as it raises the temp by about 1-2 c. Dont know if anyone has tryed it  :) or just a gimmick to sell more in the winter...
Pull up a perch!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31 »
As you don't add very much ACV it wouldn't make much difference.
Staffies are softer than you think.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 12:13 »
so just a gimmick then joyfull lol :) :) i have never used it, why do you put it in ??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56 »
it is good for their digestive system amongst other things  :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2012, 20:16 »
Got some acv joyfull and they love it. my wife says they are better looked after than her :) :)

xx
Winter tips please!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 00:12
by viettaclark
xx
Tips on building a winter shelter

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 20:48
by peter o
xx
First winter with chooks

Started by dakota on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 16:48
by slowef
xx
chooks in winter

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 12:30
by Casey76

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 53 queries.