Worming Question

• 14 Replies

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
Worming Question
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:21 »
Hi everyone, I've read a few posts on worming including Aunties advice page but still not 100% sure on what is best..  :oops:  

Can someone with relative knowledge on the subject tell me whats best ? I only have 4 girls, no sign of worms but thought I should get round to doing this sooner rather than later... Many thanks in advance  :wink:

poultrygeist

Worming Question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:13 »
Hi Stamford.

What's your setup ?
ie. are they on the same piece of ground (in a permanent run) or do they free range your garden, or in a moveable run ?

Rob 8)

stamford

• Experienced Member
Worming Question
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:19 »
Hi Rob

They have their own run which is used when we're out ( no grass now, just bark chippings ) and also a netted area ( 30 x 20 ) which they use  which is losing grass quickley !!, then we let them out to free range the whole garden when we're home and keeping an eye out

poultrygeist

Worming Question
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:24 »
I think the biggest threat is when they have a fixed run (like we have) which can become sour and doesn't get any diversity. It's important to keep a close eye and regularly worm. I'm due to do ours soon. Just need to get round to it. :roll:

They can of course pick them up from any piece of ground but I think the happy medium is to worm once a year and keep an eye on them. The recommended product (licensed for poultry) is flubenvet but you can ask around about other products.

I have a large tub that is far too much for just our own use  :wink:

Rob 8)

stamford

• Experienced Member
Worming Question
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:27 »
Thanks Rob, I knew flubenvet was the answer, just wasnt sure on where to buy, as you say you have a huge tub which is too big, so need to source small amount for my 4 ! Any suggestions on where to purchase ?

poultrygeist

Worming Question
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32 »
I've PMd you stamford. :)

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

Worming Question
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32 »
You can buy a smaller more dilute amount designed for small holders but in my opinion this is a rip off! It is more expensive that the big tub! I will not finish mine before the expirary date but still cheaper than the smaller amount (go figure).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

Worming Question
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 13:00 »
I think it's the convenience of not having to use a 'pinch' for each bird. But like you, I go with the cheaper option.

Rob

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Worming Question
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 13:02 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
I will not finish mine before the expirary date but still cheaper than the smaller amount (go figure).

Me neither I've got quite a bit left, how long after the use by date do you think it may last, as most of these dates are well within viability.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

Worming Question
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 13:58 »
I think that it is much like best before dates on food. Although it may well be fine to eat etc they do not garentee it or it's potency after that date. Drugs do deteriorate with age but it is variable as to how quickly and to what extent. I think that I would rather be confident that my girls are getting the treatment I think they are and try and make sure I use in date stuff but I am paranoid. I am also keen to avoid un-necessary wastage so have a fairly "co-operative" approach to where my excess goes :wink:

Bodger

Worming Question
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 14:23 »
I know I've done this to death :oops:  but I'm a firm believer in 'if it aint broke, why mend it ?'
Its taken farmers and animal feed manufacturers decades to come to terms with this and the routine feeding of antibiotics in animal feed stuffs.

Roughlee Handled

Worming Question
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 15:44 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I know I've done this to death :oops:  but I'm a firm believer in 'if it aint broke, why mend it ?'
Its taken farmers and animal feed manufacturers decades to come to terms with this and the routine feeding of antibiotics in animal feed stuffs.

Err Bodger I am sure you wormed you girls a month ago or was it two and you did not mention anything about aint broke then.  No it was on the 24th of September.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=24276&highlight=worming

:shock:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Bodger

Worming Question
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 15:50 »
I thought they were broke RH. :thumright: thats why I wormed them. I'd got a couple of broods that I didn't think were growing as they should, so I eliminated one possible cause. I do practice what I preach :D

As I say, I've done this to death and I've mentioned my views on routine and frequent worming on numerous occasions.

Roughlee Handled

Worming Question
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 16:14 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I've mentioned my views on routine and frequent worming on numerous occasions.

I know that is why it is indelibly printed in my mind that you wormed your chucks!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming Question
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 16:23 »
I've given my opinions before:

The risk to chickens of contracting worms is very variable. A small worm burden is natural for all birds and will usually not cause a problem. If you just have a few hens in a run or in your garden the risk is quite small and wild birds is normally the only way they will get them, you may choose to worm these hens less frequently. If the land you have your birds on has been used for hens for a long time the risks are higher. The greatest risk is to large flocks of free range birds, you may choose to worm these more frequently.

I would like to add that experienced poultry keepers may know what to look for in a chicken that has too many worms while some one comparatively new to poultry keeping may not so it would be sensible for them to be more cautious than the experienced keeper may need to be.

question
The worming question again!

Started by susan - happy hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2009, 17:35
by Foxy
xx
Quick Flubenvet/worming question.

Started by IanExMachina on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 22:14
by IanExMachina
xx
worming and dust bath question

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 23:19
by compostqueen
xx
worming

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 11:03
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 37 queries.