Moulting and legs

• 9 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Moulting and legs
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:24 »
3 of my birds are moulting and one I've noticed seems to have lost a scale off her leg.

It looks a little red but seems to be causing her no problems whatsoever.

I seem to remember reading that they loose their old leg scales when they moult and replace them with new, is this correct ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vember

Moulting and legs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59 »
I think Aunt Sally mentioned that the scales come off during moult RR
I'll have a look see if I can find the link :D

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=21467&highlight=scales

And it's mentioned again here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=26671&highlight=scales

Sarah :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moulting and legs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 13:37 »
Thanks Sarah  :D

Bodger

Moulting and legs
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 13:38 »
The leg scales on a chicken do not fall off easily unaided. Infact, they will tend to stay in situ even though perfectly formed new ones are lying beneath them. When your chicken reaches a certain age, I'd suggest a minimum of two years old, I'd pick the bird up and gently scrape away one of the scales with your thumb. It should almost 'click off' with a little pressure from your finger nail and reveal a shiney new scale beneath. If in taking off this first scale the bird shows any pain or if any blood or soreness shows then stop what you are doing and leave it for another six months, its not ready to have them removed yet.
If there isn't either of the latter, then using your thumb nail or a matchstick, you then need to methodically work your way down the back and the front of the legs removing the  scales. This includes the tops of the feet and toes. To repeat, if you find encounter any soreness, then stop taking the scales off  in that particualr area.
The removal of these old scales isn't usually something that you have to do and the birds wont generally come to harm even if you never get round to doing it, they just look a bit better for having it done properly.

A little warning about doing this with birds that have scaley leg. The scales on affected bird will be raised and will look as though they are asking to be taken off. This is not the case, they will have been lifted by the activity of the a boring insect causing the condition and if you try to pull them off they will inevitably bleed and make the chickens legs sore.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moulting and legs
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 13:42 »
Cheers Bodger that's very interesting I always thought they might just fall off.

Bodger

Moulting and legs
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 14:14 »
When the weather is warmer, I'n not standing out in the cold for anyone :lol: , I'll endeavour to take some photos of me taking the scales off one of my older birds.

Kate and her Ducks

Moulting and legs
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 14:22 »
Not a moulting (or chicken question for that matter) but am curious about my Cayuga(ish) drake. When I got him (1 week old) his bill and feet were jet black and stayed that way till he was fully feathered in his adult plummage. But I noticed a while ago (before the stress of the fox attack) that both have become paler. His legs look like they are meant to be orange and someone painted them black and it is now wearing off a bit and his bill is a mix of dark grey and black bits. I know he is not pure bred but also know that the bill and legs of girls alter depending on their hormones and if pigment has been leached out into eggs (obviously not applicable here :roll: ). Is there a reason this is happening and something I can do to restore him to his previous glory? Is this just the way he is and I should just stop fussy?

Not anxious, just curious.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Bodger

Moulting and legs
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 15:09 »
I'm not sure about that one Kate. A birds leg colour can change but thats usually with females as they lay. I'll seek advice and see what I can find out for you.

raeburg

Moulting and legs
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 15:18 »
My bantie chick had bright yellow legs at a day old and now at 4 weeks has blue/grey legs.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moulting and legs
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 20:04 »
Mine have yellow legs normally but they have faded with the moult

xx
Hen legs

Started by cudders on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 23:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hen off her legs

Started by chrisdobb on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 19:06
by Boxfanman
xx
Red colouring on legs

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 16:10
by Casey76
xx
feather legs

Started by poppies on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 19:58
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 39 queries.